President Krislov Helps Strengthen ‘Opportunitas’

President+Krislov+at+the+Kessel+Student+Center.+

Marie Ternes

President Krislov at the Kessel Student Center.

Adiba Sikder, Editor-in-Chief

President Krislov has helped strengthen “Opportunitas,” Pace’s mission statement, and Pace move in a positive direction since the start of his presidency a year ago.

According to the university’s mission statement, Pace is built on providing real-world experience, along with a strong academic curriculum to help students become well-rounded citizens.

When Krislov first arrived at Pace, his goals were to get to know both the community and institution, build a strong team, and publicize the school to broader audiences.

Over the past year, Pace students and faculty have been featured on several different news stations such as ABC News, Fios 1, News 12, EWA, Forbes, and The Examiner.

Last semester, Puerto Rico: Hope in the Dark, a documentary created by Pace students in a study abroad class about the island’s experience in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, was one of the biggest projects to be featured.

The motivation behind publicizing Pace was to bring in more resources and connections for the institution, as well as bringing attention to the value the university offers to its students.

“The more opportunities there are for the institution the more there are for students,” Krislov said. “Wherever I go, I talk to people about internships for students, jobs, and money.”

Some of the new developments include: a new partnership with the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History for an online program providing a masters in American History, new connections at clinical placements for health professions students, and the launch of the Opportunities Scholarship.

Although there have been many new positive developments for Pace, President Krislov has experienced challenges with healthcare costs.

“It’s a nationwide problem and we’re not immune from that,” he said.

Another challenge the Pace community has faced is the current immigration policies in place for both international and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) students.

However, President Krislov and his team have been working on facing these challenges, and they continue to prioritize the Pace community and its needs.

This fall, enrollment rates have increased in both the Pleasantville and NYC campuses, and the incoming freshman class is the most diverse that Pace has ever had. President Krislov and his team are also working on improving the Pace Path Plan and will be reaching out to employers to ask what they specifically look for in students when they leave Pace.