Pace Announces its Implementation of the WiFi Network Eduroam

Eduroam is a network that allows students, faculty and staff access WiFi at certain hotspots with their university log in credentials.

Carmen Ballon, Social Media Manager

Pace’s Information Technology Center announced its implementation of eduroam, a non-profit global Internet service that allows students to access WiFi at any other participating institutions across the globe using their university login credentials.

The announcement, made via email to faculty, staff and students, explained that the Pace community can use their MyPace portal login information to access eduroam networks around the world at any institution outside of Pace. Visiting members of other institutions that subscribe to eduroam may use their home institution’s log in credentials to access the eduroam service when visiting Pace also.

All users have to do is open Wi-Fi settings on a laptop or mobile device, select the eduroam network, and enter their login information. Other American institutions that offer eduroam include Vassar College, Marist College, Fordham University, Columbia and a number of other institutions.

Eduroam’s attraction is that it removes universities’ need to supply temporary accounts to visiting users, creating a quick and secure way for visitors to get online without campus IT support. It also eliminates the issue of simultaneous users sharing the same account and making it difficult to track inappropriate web use.

Paul R. Dampier, Pace’s Vice President for IT and Chief Information Officer, saw the assets of eduroam firsthand while using the amenity during his time at Cambridge University. Dampier noticed the advantage and easy access it gave college students.

“I saw the power and benefit in the UK,” Dampier said. “I was surprised we did not have it already. All leading universities had the service.”

Dampier wants to improve current IT services not only through MyPace Portal, but also through physical changes. Pace NYC recently opened New York City Tech Zone, an open access computer lab, which Dampier hopes to replicate on the Pleasantville campus.

He also desires to provide printer access to students in dorm halls and make the Pace Banner system, Blackboard, and enrollment system more mobile-centric.

“Were open to talk to students about what they need,” Damier said. “Our big focus is on the student experience. To make life easier on campus.”