Study abroad safety for Pace students

Miaira Raiford, Contributing Writer

Due to the concerns of the coronavirus, Pace’s faculty and staff are compelled to do whatever it takes to ensure students’ health and safety. This includes the study abroad department, who have made adjustments towards their protocol for student travel in the following years.

The department recognizes students’ concerns when filling out the forms for a Fall 2020 faculty-led course and featuring courses for January 2021. They also advise students to select a backup Pace course on campus should the evolving COVID-19 situation affect their international travel and force a course cancellation over the summer. The study abroad’s website states that there will be “no financial obligations connected with your faculty-led program application until a later date”.

Students understand the safety precautions, but some are of course distraught over their chances to study in another country.

“I mean, it definitely is a little disappointing” an MCVA student, who wishes to remain anonymous, said about the Bee Aware​ Documentary in France. “I was looking forward to seeing the new documentary because I saw how great the Hawaii documentary was. When I heard it was cancelled, I was disappointed but I understand it is for the best. It’s better to keep them as safe as possible than to have them be exposed to the virus in a foreign country.”

Other than agreeing with the safety procedures study abroad is doing, some feel it is not enough and that students should be reimbursed.

“It is study abroad’s ethical obligation to put a student’s safety as top priority,” Pace Sophomore, Pasquale Noce said. “However, they are in a position where they have financial power over the students and because of that, they have a responsibility to refund each student for the canceled trips.”

And there are those who also heavily sympathize for the team behind study abroad.

“While it is unfortunate, it had to be done,” said another student who wishes to be anonymous. “I also know how heartbroken the people in study abroad are having to cancel. They know how much this means to students, but they have to put our health and safety first.”

Jennifer Ley, the director of the department, mentioned that while all Pace travel has been cancelled through the end of June, students will not be put at a disadvantage.

“For any of the four-credit courses associated with these cancelled overseas trips, an alternative academic version is being provided here in the USA so that students won’t lose the credits,” Ley explained.