SGA unties ties in election

Miaira Raiford, Contributing Writer

Wednesday’s Student Government Association (SGA) Elections saw many winners and many ties for those running. Mostly due to the newest sections added to the ballot this year − the Finance Committee, Judicial Board and Senior Planning Committee − there were plenty of students who campaigned and tied with one another.

Ciara Kain, Vice President of Finances, explained a bit about one of the positions on the ballot.

“For the Finance Committee, SGA is electing the top eight candidates,” she said. “There are seven clear winners and Korbin Kepner would have been the 8th, but he won for VP of Finance, which means there is a 3-way tie. It’s between Bryan Abunaw, Max Weisman, and Sarah Brewer.”

There was a tie for the second Dyson Student Ambassador between Christina Little and Jacqueline Bethea. For the second Lubin Student Ambassador position, Daniella Hernandez and Matt Chance got the same amount of votes. And finally for the Senior Planning Committee, a three-way tie between Anaya White, Annabel Keppel-Palmer, and Brandon Joachim.

Kain noted of a slight error regarding the second CHP Student Ambassador. The position is tied between Victoria Urban and Brian Powell, despite the website saying Urban is ahead of Powell.

“In the past for any ties, SGA does a 1 day run-off vote, and we will do that for this election as well,” Kain said.

The 1 day run-off vote concluded on Wednesday, April 15 to see which students received the most votes. Then final winners were announced on Thursday, and the swearing in ceremony will take place as scheduled on Friday, April 17 at SGA’s virtual Senate meeting.