Ithaca College first of NY schools to announce delayed start for Fall

Katie Walsh, Managing Editor

Ithaca College announced earlier today that they plan on delaying the start of the fall semester until Oct. 5th, 2020.

The President of the College, Shirley Collado, stated “in coming to the decision to open the fall semester on October 5, the senior leadership team and I listened to and collaborated with a variety of stakeholders and leaders, on campus and off. We’ve also clearly heard the voices of our students and their families.”

Pace has yet to make an official statement regarding their plans for the Fall, but they have compiled together four possible scenarios. Two of these scenarios indicate a late start for hope of returning to campus in a normal fashion.

Pace released a letter regarding an October 1st and a November 1st potential start date. These late start dates would extend the semester into Jan. and/or Feb. and provide a smaller break in-between the Fall/Spring semesters. With this scenario, the University would move the winter intersession to take place from mid-August through September.  The Late Start Timing Proposal subject to approval.

October 1 start:

• Fall Semester begins Oct. 1; ends Jan. 13 (104 days) includes Winter breakin December and January
    • Fall Semester begins November 1; ends February 13 (104 days) includes Winter break in December and January
    • Spring Semester begins February 20; ends June 10 (110 days) includes Spring break – impact on May intersession and potentially Summer ISpring Semester begins January 27; ends May 17 (110 days) includes Spring break. :

November 1 start:

• Spring Semester begins February 20; ends June 10 (110 days) includes Spring break. This would impact May intersession and potentially Summer I

The decision made by Ithaca College is the first of many to come from colleges/universities around the country.

With Ithaca making their statement, the pressure has been placed on other schools in the tri-state area, like Pace, to continue to act quickly and communicate a decision to the staff, students and faculty of the university.

Pace’s other scenarios include social distancing with a normal Sept. 9th start and the continuation of remote learning through Fall 2020 and/or Spring 2021. The school also stated that there could be a hybrid of scenarios conducted.

Students continue to standby in hopes of receiving more information soon.