A Letter From the Editor

Courtesy of Pixabay

Michelle Ricciardi, Editor in Chief

Dear fellow Pace students and university faculty,

The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Code of Ethics states that:

“Members of the Society of Professional Journalists believe that public enlightenment is the forerunner of justice and the foundation of democracy. Ethical journalism strives to ensure the free exchange of information that is accurate, fair and thorough. An ethical journalist acts with integrity.

The Society declares these four principles as the foundation of ethical journalism and encourages their use in its practice by all people in all media.”

By now it is no secret that we, the writers of The Pace Chronicle, have been making waves on campus within the first few weeks of the semester. Many members of the Pace community have expressed their gratitude for our exposing of information while some have condemned us and accused us of being bias. However, regardless of what one’s opinion may be, the content we have produced and will continue to produce in our stories is not a result of some witch-hunt.

Our jobs are to report all sides of a story, the good news and bad news, without bias. We are not out to “get” any one at the university. In fact, we are grateful for the opportunities that Pace has given us to grow academically and as writers.

However, it is our duty as journalists to expose the truth and keep those who hold the power, usually administration, in check by calling them out when they put on a false facade. It is also our job to report any news, positive or negative, that relates to, affects, or interests the Pace community.

It is our right to ask questions; it is your right not to comment. However, if you refuse to comment we will still print our stories on deadline regardless of busy schedules and unanswered emails.

Therefore, in an effort for our stories to include everyone’s version of the truth, please do not avoid our reporters or give false answers to our questions because we will find the truth and we will blow the whistle because it is every student’s and faculty member’s right to know what is going on around them, on and off campus, and it is our Constitutional right as Americans to tell them.