Why Don’t Students Attend Campus Events?

Empty chairs are left at Circle of Greeks. The event was said to have a lot less attendance than years prior. Photo by Tabatha Gonzalez/Pace Chronicle.

Tabatha Gonzalez, Feature Editor

Pace is an expensive school and is often questioned why, if it doesn’t offer much. Our university has many offerings.

It offers professionals that teach, nurse, guide, advise, and listen to students who may be feeling stressed or negatively during school time.

The school also gives students and organizations facilities hold events for students to socialize and learn. Students at Pace have failed to attend many of these events, however, that the school and its organizations offer.

“In a normal [football] game [we’ve recorded] like 600-900 students,” senior Dominick Mignano said. “In homecoming, we had like in between 1500 and 1600.”

In football, basketball, and NE-10 playoff games, attendance is recorded and tickets are sold to non-Pace students. Students, with Pace ID, are free.

About 20 percent of people, on average, are attending the sports events. During special events, like homecoming, only 50 percent of people show up. These numbers do not even take into consideration the opponents’ fans who make up part of the recordance.

Even if students are not interested in sports, lack of participation in other events has been noted throughout the school.

“Personally, I have experienced high participation volumes at the events [SDCA]  holds, but I have also seen events that other people hold [and they] only have their own members at it,” sophomore Kevin Capobianco said. “I do think participation could be up in general. I don’t think the orgs do enough promotion of their own events to generate new people. I think they rely only on their members.”

Pi Lambda Phi’s “Burn Away,” Sigma Lambda Upsilon’s “I Am Not a Loan,” and Omega Phi Beta’s “Diversification” events were all events that offered purposes for social interaction and education, but students failed to attend them.

If one was to accumulate the attendance of these three events, it be under 3 percent of Pace’s student population, collectively.

“Most people responded [to surverys] that the timing of events didn’t coordinate with their time schedules; that was a big issue,” a Pace Connect worker said. “The heavy amount of people were commuters, so events weren’t accessible to attend.”

Pace Connect is a service the school has in which they survey students about different activities Pace has or is going to offer.

In one poll, the workers called students and asked what kinds of events they would like to see around campus. They also asked why many of the students didn’t attend events around campus.

“People said they’d like to see more specialized clubs regarding to their special interest groups. It be smaller groups but more people would be involved because they like those interests,” Angela said.

If students want to complain about Pace and want to see more activities for their special interests, then they can do so.

By contacting SDCA Coordinators Christine Bogulaski or Shawn Livingston, students can start clubs. This way a more diverse group of organizations can be offered at Pace and more students will attend different kinds of events.