Use Your Outdoor Voices, I Know You Want To

Choate+House%2C+where+much+dissent+goes+unheard.+Photo+by+Joseph+Tucci.+

Choate House, where much dissent goes unheard. Photo by Joseph Tucci.

Joseph Tucci, Managing Editor

In the four years, I’ve worked as a journalist for the Chronicle I’ve talked to a lot of people who were very pissed off about a lot of the issues happening on Pace’s campus.

These issues ranged from Kessel’s food quality to security issues. To injustices within the athletic department, residential life, student government, and Greek life to sexual assault and domestic violence.

And most recently, the death of the Environmental Museum.

However, when push came to shove, the number of people who were willing to openly speak their minds and go on the record for “controversial” stories were few and far between.

I get that there are reasons behind this; people don’t want to put their jobs, relationships, opportunities, and sometimes even their lives at risk.

I believe that if you truly care about making a difference, however, that sticking your neck out is important and putting your name to your words is important.

I’m saying this because watching some of the injustices in this school go on for several years without change has made me sick to my stomach, and I know if more people spoke out against them there would be at least some hope that things would change.

This is especially true of the faculty overall. The faculty in this school are wonderful people and many other students (myself included) look up to many of them. It’s beyond frustrating for me, however, to be told by many of you how angry you are about an issue but then have no one go on the record because you don’t have tenure.

I know damn well Marie Werner isn’t the only one with strong opinions regarding some of the things that go on here, and even she is disappointed with your silence.

“I wish my colleagues had the courage to say publicly what they freely say privately,” Werner said.

What frustrates me, even more, is that when I spoke to President Stephen Friedman about the closing of the museum a few weeks ago this is what he had to say:

“This is an issue on which people are entitled to have different opinions. I really want the environmental program to grow, they apparently need the space, so I understand both sides of this, but I really view it as a decision the deans should make. I make decisions all the time that people disagree with. I don’t expect unanimity, I try very hard to make the best decisions that I can, and to consult a lot of people,” Friedman said.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your president telling you that it’s okay to speak your mind.

I understand this is a private university and the administration has the right to remove someone for speaking up even if they would normally be protected under the First Amendment, but just because it’s in its power TO do something, doesn’t mean it SHOULD do something.

I have much more respect for establishments that let their members speak their mind instead of controlling their voices with fear.

One of the things I respect most about Pace’s administration is the fact that no matter how controversial the topic the Chronicle has published, they’ve never attempted to shut our organization down, so I’ll respectfully ask you to give the same treatment to other members of the community.