Here’s What You Should Do Before You Register For Next Semester

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

Hey, Setters! Can you believe how fast time is flying? It is already advising period! Undergraduate registration for the Fall 2017 semester begins on Apr. 17, so if you haven’t reached out to your academic advisor by now – make sure you do so because appointments fill up fast. The earlier you start planning, the more chances you’ll have of getting the schedule you want next semester.

Personally, I would recommend meeting with both your school and major/department advisor to ensure everyone is on the same page, there are no delays, and you will feel less overwhelmed – despite the fact that meeting with more than 1 advisor might seem daunting. And if you don’t know your advisor, be sure to email [email protected].

Another great tool related to advising is Degree Works – which can be accessed through MyPace Portal. It is a web-based academic planning and advising tool that outlines the requirements of each major and the paths to complete it. Although you should not rely on it entirely for all of your registration needs (such as which classes are required) it is a helpful platform to get the general idea of your track sheet – what you’ve completed and what you have left to take. After checking it out, it’s best to consult with an advisor in the event the system is not updated with any recent waivers or changes made to your degree.

Besides meeting with advisors, there are so many other related opportunities and resources available to Pace students. Unfortunately, not many take the time to discover them or use them to their fullest potential. Therefore, with help from the Department of Student Success, we wanted to break down some tools and resources that are available to you with the click of a button – literally.

“Over the past year or so, the University has invested heavily in software platforms to support student advising and success.  Many students are already using some or all of these, but some students may still not be aware of what is available to them.  We wanted to remind students of the resources they have at their fingertips to maximize their success,” shared Dr. Sue Maxam, Assistant Vice President for Student Success.

Among them is the Schedule Planner, which is also on MyPace Portal. This tool helps students identify potential schedule options based on intended courses and their desired availability. You’re basically making a virtual schedule before registration to prevent any overlaps and ensure you’re maximizing your time efficiently.

Another technology-based tool is Starfish. Professors and instructors use this platform to share both concerns and praise related to individual student academic performance. You can log into your Starfish account at http://starfish.pace.edu, but the great part is that you get the alerts straight to your Pace inbox, too. When you are alerted to this feedback, it is encouraged to follow-up with your Instructor immediately for discussion, support and referral to University resources based on the feedback.

We hope you found these resources and tools helpful, and encourage you to use them. Good luck planning your next semester!