Senior Reflection: Nihal Al Qawasmi

Nihal Al Qawasmi, class of 2017. Photo by Nihal Al Qawasmi.

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

This is probably the hardest introduction I’ve ever had to write. And I know this because I’ve been staring at an empty page for a few days – trying to figure out how on earth I am expected to fit four eventful, stressful and incredible years at Pace into one teeny tiny piece?

I guess we’re about to find out.

For starters, I am honored to take part in this long-running tradition here at The Pace Chronicle and share my senior thoughts (i.e.: “reflections”) with you all. I guess it’s only fitting since I’ve been the Opinion Editor for the past year – and opinions are my thing. Having an opinion is what I’m good at. I like to attribute this to my strong sense of independence. However, I find myself at a loss for words – and kind of sad – trying to piece this together.

But I guess I’ll give it a sappy shot (I’m also great at being sappy). Anyway, I am writing this in Kessel as some students play the same freaking song over and over on the piano in the lounge. It is so very annoying but it will also be very missed. As will a bunch of other unavoidable and minuscule instances – such as doing 5 loops around the parking lot looking for a spot, the increased tuition every year and visits to OSA. Just kidding… I will happily say good riddance to that headache.

All that aside – Pace has been an incredible experience and family to me over the past four years. You can’t deny the sense of community and support on this campus (obviously speaking about Pleasantville because I hear the New York City campus isn’t on our level yet). It’s big enough to meet new people all the time but also small enough that you never feel like just another number or statistic bouncing around from class to class. No, really, I’ve had some of the same professors over three times for different classes. I prefer it that way.

Some like to call the Pleasantville campus the “traditional” one – maybe because of the football field? I’ll never know. But one thing is for sure; Pace is anything but traditional. It’s home to the best four years of my life, where change and growth were encouraged, opinions were challenged but also supported, and opportunities existed at every corner — but only for those that dared to step out of their comfort zone.

And for that, I say thank you, Pace family.

Oh yeah, and remember when the pond was green? Kids these days will never know.

Proud (almost) alumna,

Nihal Al Qawasmi

Former Opinion Editor