Senior Goodbye: Alex Coma

The sun sets on my time at Pace. Photo by Alex Coma.

Alexander Coma, Senator

It is with much tribulation that I leave this campus. As my final days here are upon me, I can’t help but look back upon my time here and think of the many faces I have met over the years. Friends, relationships, moments of sadness, and joy all come to mind as I write this even now.

I am looking back on my time here, like a love that was had then lost all too quickly. As depressing as that sounds, it is all too true. I have come to love this campus, even with all of its faults. Anyone that has known me long enough will know that I have a dark and twisted sense of humor. That is why plenty of people have probably heard me say “This place may be a shithole, but it is my shithole” with the utmost pride.

In reality, this campus is not really a shithole at all. I have just come to use that phrase in response to all the negative comments from people that call this place home. I call it home and will continue to until my last day here when I walk across that stage on the day of commencement.

The motto of the Fraternity Pi Lambda Phi is “Not four years, but a lifetime” and while it is definitely talking about brotherhood, it means more to me than that. That motto applies to my time here in higher education with everyone. That includes professors, friends, and of course my brothers.

To everyone on this campus, both now and in the future, I have a small challenge for you. I want all of you to take the motto of my fraternity to heart. Whether you just want to hurry up and finish college or not. Treasure your time here with everyone. They are your family here at Pace and will continue to be even after you leave.

To all of my friends, professors, and my Pace family, I will miss you all. I will miss my time in WPAW,  in Senate, the Film Club, and everything in between. You all made my time here the best that it could have ever been and I thank you all for that.

In Albanian culture, we have a belief that family comes before all else. Treat your family here the way you do to your family back home. Before you know it, you will be the one writing your senior goodbye.