Places to Know on Campus

SDCA+wants+to+prohibit+organizations+from+charging+students+to+attend+an+event.+Photo+by+Josiah+Darnell++

SDCA wants to prohibit organizations from charging students to attend an event. Photo by Josiah Darnell

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

A summer break is a chance for college students to kick back and let all school related items go out the window until next semester. Now, for incoming freshman, it’s a step forward in starting a new chapter of the next four years of their life. In that transition, the knowledge they have on the school that they are planning to attend is imperative, especially when they need to get that last minute document in, looking for a campus job, or just simply looking for a place to hang. At Pace University there is exactly that.

The most popular place that needs to be stored in the memory banks of incoming students are the Financial Aid Office and the Office of Student Assistance (OSA). Both offices are located in the same building, which can be found around the circle, then up the hill past Alumni Hall. Financial Aid specializes in well… financial aid. That’s where all the aid you receive from the school upon acceptance is calculated and evaluated. For any problems or questions about your financial aid package, that is the office to go to. OSA deals with registration, billing, and payment for anything Pace related; student records, transcripts and verification forms, and academic scheduling. A lot of trips will be made up that hill to those offices.

The Kessel Student Center is the next big place where a lot of events and activities occur. In Kessel. there are the essentials to the college life experience. There is the main cafeteria where a selection of sushi, sandwiches, pizza, salad, and other options are provided daily for the typical college student appetite. But beware of the lurking freshman fifteen. Along with the main cafeteria, the bookstore can be found on the lower level. That’s the place for textbooks, school apparel and other school supply items. In the upper levels of Kessel, there are multiple offices that are eager to steer you in the right direction, starting with Student Development and Campus Activities or SDCA for short. SDCA handles all dealings with student organizations, commuter life events, Fraternity and Sorority Life events, and Orientation and Transitions for incoming Pace students. Career Services, the Study Abroad office, the Counseling Center, and the ID/Meal Plan offices are also located at the top level of Kessel, which all are there for the aid of Pace’s students.

Outside of Kessel, you’ll find more of Pace’s perks. One of them being The Pace Perk. The Pace Perk Café is a late night hangout spot, famous for their milkshakes and the snack variety they provide that Kessel doesn’t. The Perk opens at 9pm and closes at 2am. Further down the road, going towards North Hall, there is a series of buildings up another hill. The main building there is Goldstein Academic Center. More often than not, it’s usually mistaken for the Goldstein Athletic Complex. The Goldstein Academic Center is designed for computer science courses and other Lubin School of Business courses. The Tutoring Center located on the third floor of the library and the Writing Center in Miller Hall are both key essentials for academic enhancement and are worth checking out.