Does Pace have School Spirit for their Sports Teams?

Some fans from the field hockey team coming to support at the soccer game (Photo Courtesy: Kamryn Gianfrancesco)

Abby Stucker, Feature Writer

School spirit is undoubtedly one of the most important elements of the college experience. When you think of college, you might think of many different things but among those various things, I’m sure one of those is school spirit and appreciation for sports teams. Everyone wears their Pace University Setters apparel from the bookstore, but is there real support for our athletic teams or is it just for show?

Sporting events are a common thread that can bind the students, faculty, and alumni together and I think that’s an important component of forming togetherness on campus. Having pride in your school’s teams is only just one way to promote a feeling of community but nonetheless, it’s a simpler way to bring the community together.

Pace has an athletic department that puts a lot of time and effort into promoting all of our athletic teams. The department encourages everyone to come out and cheer the teams to victory. They use social media as the main platform, and their website to inform everyone about all the different teams’ schedules, rosters, and records. They also make an effort to recognize the athletes’ personal and team achievements. The athletic programs are pretty visible on campus and don’t shy away from promotion.

If the most visible group on campus can’t get support from our peers, then where are we going wrong? Why doesn’t Pace have school pep?

After doing some thinking it came to my attention that we might have some school spirit and some fans and that seems all well and good. But here’s the problem, there’s only selective school spirit. The Pace athletic department always does a good job trying to draw in fans by raffling off gifts and giving free t-shirts or socks to the first 500 fans, having youth day to involve young athletes and bring in more fans, and also by giving out magnets and posters with the teams’ schedule on them while featuring some of the player’s faces so others can see the familiar faces they also see around campus.

Pace puts so much work into making sure all the teams have exposure but I wonder what it’s all for. It seems like the general school population could pay more attention to it. We need the same kind of enthusiasm for every sports team. It provides the energy that athletes thrive on, gives us an edge over the competition, and in turn, we can get to win game after game!

As a member of the field hockey team, I am writing this as a call to action. We need more spirit from our fans between men’s and women’s sports. We have winning sports teams that work so hard! That needs to be recognized on campus, it also needs to be recognized how important this spirit is needed to keep our school community bound together.

Pace is known being and doing many great things, so why can’t we also be known for having an awesome fan section with a lot of passion and school spirit? Let’s see some change. Go Setters!​