Do Professors Make Themselves Available after Class?

(Photo Courtesy of http://www.pace.edu/its/it-services-and-support/computing-software-and-hardware/computer-labs/electronic-classrooms)

Abby Stucker, Feature Writer

We’re all finally settling into our classes for this semester and getting into the groove of a routine, but that doesn’t guarantee that we might not run into a few problems along the way, here and there. regarding our different classes.

Whether a student is shy and nervous to ask questions in front of the class, a student has an extensive question that requires more attention than a normal in-class inquiry, or a personal conflict that should be discussed in private; it would seem to me that the natural course of action would be to talk to your professor. But are students in need of assistance actually given that opportunity?

So this raises the question, do Pace professors make themselves available after class?

In my opinion, the answer is yes. In my experience, all my professors have been more than willing to stay a few minutes after class. A majority of my professors have been or are a part of the adjunct faculty, so they don’t have office hours; their only options are to take questions via email or to speak with students after class.

All of my adjunct professors have been happy to answer student questions after class even when it’s after a night class and pushing 9:00 pm. I appreciate that and I’m sure my peers do as well.

Even professors that are full-time have had no problem staying after class, but they make sure to add what their office hours are if more help is needed or a particular problem persists.

To get an instructor’s perspective on the topic, I asked Sociology and Anthropology professor, Berfu Aygenc Akman, her thoughts on how she handles after-class inquiries.

“I believe that it is important to carry the conversation outside of the class and discuss points that students are curious about. Students usually prefer face-to-face conversation if they have quick questions,” said Aygenc Akman. “I usually make myself available before or after class for these questions. Exchanging emails also helps. A written conversation is useful if they want to revisit their questions.”

Chelsea Shultz, a nursing student, told me she was also in agreement with my opinion.

“I definitely think teachers are always available after class, I rarely have any questions myself but I see other people asking my professors questions and they pretty much always seem receptive to it.”

Do Pace professors make themselves available after class, or do they rush to leave and have their students hanging?

I think the majority of Pace professors are making themselves as available as they can. I am thankful for that, it makes the learning environment I am in that much more enjoyable because I feel comfortable and that is the best kind of environment to be learning in.