The Struggle of the Working College Student: Is It Worth It?

(Photo courtesy: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/college-student-summer-job)

Abby Stucker, Feature Writer

There is a whole host of reasons why Pace students or any other student would want to take on a job while in studying in college. Some of the most common reasons include paying tuition, having additional income for day to day expenses, gaining work experience, and wanting to build up their resumes.

Many might feel it’s a given to get a job since tuition is expensive. Other people might worry about the conflicts that may arise when trying to balance maintaining the quality of their grades since the work schedule would cut into study time. Opinions are split between both sides, but what is apparent is that being a working student requires a lot of balancing, organization, and planning. So, is it worth it?

There are obvious ups and downs of being employed while also being a full-time student, so if you’re still having trouble deciding what do, let’s weigh the pros and cons.

Starting off with the positives, having a job can bring you added income. If you have heard it once, you’ve heard it a million times. College is expensive, and even after scholarships and financial aid are considered, some things will just have to be paid out of your own pocket. Having a job with a steady income can ease the financial stress.

“It is actually really nice to have my own source of money,” Katrina Mikitish, a junior said. “I don’t have to constantly bother my parents for it for food or toilet paper.”

Any kind of job you are doing in college will look great on a resume to potential employers. Obviously, it shows that you are responsible enough to balance an intense school schedule with work. Also, working a job adds valuable experience to your life and you can meet people that you could use as contacts for future employment endeavors.

Something that many people might be surprised to know is that studies show holding a job can actually have a positive effect on your GPA. This can be due to having less free time. Less free time will cause you to really focus and take advantage of the time that you do have to study and get work done effectively. It leaves less time for students to procrastinate. Hard work really does pay off!

Now let’s weigh the cons.

Some people feel there is no time to study! Time spent working equals time that is not spent studying, catching up on homework, or sleeping. Even working a reasonable amount of hours a week can mean losing valuable time elsewhere. Priorities can get mixed up very easily and ultimately, time can become a battle between relaxing, and having a social life or studying and working. Usually, students choose to study over relaxing and that is where stress comes into play.

Between so much work and class, it can leave a student feeling burned out and exhausted, which is not exactly ideal for memorizing material and studying for exams. College is already stressful enough, and a job can sometimes add to that anxiety. The addition of work can overload a student’s system.

A working sophomore, Sabrina Lugo said, “It feels impossible to balance both… I bring my school work [to the job] if I have to.”

In addition, a downside that not everyone will immediately think of is a job can get in the way of so many things. The job can potentially cause many scheduling conflicts. For example, a class could collide into shift hours and make you late depending if your professor talks a little bit too much or you get really busy towards the end of your shift. Maybe you are involved on campus and a part of a club, but you can never attend the meetings because it’s in the middle of your shift. Whatever the case may be, a job can interfere with your already busy schedule.

Jobs can be both a blessing and a curse.

But Lugo added, “School is always my priority,”

I think the takeaway from this is that you have to know yourself and the kind of person you are before you decide if it’s right for you to get a job. No matter if you chose work, school, or and work and school combined you are going to have your hands full!