Things To Consider For Registration

Schedule Explorer on Pace Portal, where to find classes offered. Photo taken by Josiah Darnell

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

Class registration is upon the students of Pace University, and this, along with housing selections and finals, are some of the most important times in a student’s college career. There are many things that they need to take into consideration when registering for classes, and here are a few of those things.

The first thing students need to do is meet with their advisors as early and as often as possible. Each school under Pace University has their own arsenal of advisors that are ready to help students. Once you find an advisor and meet with them, they will give you a sheet that includes core requirements, major requirements, minor requirements, and electives.

That sheet is important because it helps you keep track of the classes that you took, and the ones you need to take. It also proposes some classes that you can substitute in and out to fill those requirements. Each school is different- the amount of AOK’S a Dyson student needs to take may not be the same amount as a Lubin student needs.

Once a schedule is put together, the next thing to check would be registration times. This can be found on MyPortal in the students tab by clicking on the Registration, Grades, and Tuition Schedule link. The registration time is important, because even though registration opens up on April 16th,  some students may not be able to register on that day.

Seniors, RA’S, and athletes all have priority registration, meaning that they register earlier than other students so they can get classes to fit with their busy schedules. Students should be mindful of this because if these individuals are ahead of you, then that can alter the makeup of your original schedule. Because of this, students might want to make more than one schedule for backup purposes.

When picking classes, the credit count is important as well. Students at Pace only need twelve credits to be considered a full time student. If they want, they can take twelve credits every semester here, the only thing then is that they’ll be here for more than four years. Eighteen credits is the maximum amount per semester, and students might have to take one semester of eighteen. But taking fifteen to sixteen credits each semester with that one of eighteen should keep students on track to graduate.

After all twelve years of grade school and at least four years of college, it can feel like a lot, so why extend your time longer than you need to?