Get Involved!

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

College is a huge level up from high school, and most of the stories told about college are true. Yes, it is harder; yes, the workload can be overwhelming; yes, there is a lot of freedom; and yes, it can be the best for years of your life. However, in order to enjoy college to its fullest, campus involvement has to be on the agenda.

There are many opportunities just waiting to be explored on campus, but they cannot be taken advantage of from the dorm room. Here at Pace, there are many different ways to be involved. One of the simplest ways are to attend RA events.

Their events are usually held in the dormitory buildings, so the travel distance isn’t far, and they give students an opportunity to get to know the RA’s in their residence hall, along with other residents in the building.

RA events also help build up housing points, which plays a huge factor when it comes to choosing next year’s housing assignment.

Another huge opportunity for students to get involved, particularly freshman, is during the Week of Welcome (W.O.W week). That week provides club and organization fairs, trips off campus, and sports games. It’s a chance to let school spirit flow through the campus and get students excited for the upcoming semester.

Student involvement can also extend to the workforce, especially with the vast amount of job opportunities on campus for students. Pace Perk Café, for example, is an amazing opportunity for students who are interested in the business field.  It is a completely student run business, from the managers to the employees. It also looks good on a resume and allows students to get a feel of what it’s like to run a business.

The Student Development and Campus Activities (SDCA) Office is another form of involvement. In that office, there is an arsenal of events and activities students can take part in, hence the name of the office. And if you don’t feel like joining a club or organization, why not make one of your own? SDCA would be the office to make it happen.

If that’s not enough, there are other places to choose from like the Multicultural Affairs Office, Center for Community Action and Research, Orgsync, and Student Government. There are community meetings as well, to discuss the issues and trending topics around Pleasantville, along with Pace Makes a Difference Day.

Pace is giving students the opportunity to get involved and make the best out of the four years spent there. The question is: Will you take advantage of them?