Parking on Campus: New Year, Same Rule

Parking on Campus: New Year, Same Rule

The parking lot behind Alumni Hall that would be used by freshman if they were allowed to have cars on campus.

Josiah Darnell

Josiah Darnell

Josiah Darnell

Josiah Darnell, Opinion Editor

As the school year approaches and more new faces arrive on campus the question consistently asked by them is, can freshmen have their cars on campus? The answer still remains no, they cannot.

This is a huge deal to freshman because as high school graduates, a good amount of them drove to school in whatever part of the country they’re from. That gave them a sense of independence and empowerment because not a lot of students drive their own car in high school, so when you are one of the select few that do, you feel untouchable.

Once that is stripped away from you, you feel like every other ordinary human being, and that can suck when transitioning into a new environment where cars are relied upon heavily.

As cliché as it sounds, rules are made for a reason and in this case, and that rule is rightfully in place largely because of the limited parking around campus. When you take a look around the Pleasantville campus, you can see that the parking lots paired with their dormitory building is significantly less than the amount of residents they hold.

It’s obvious in every dorm parking lot except for the townhouses. The parking dilemma is a havoc just with the upperclassmen alone, now imagine if freshmen were allowed to bring their cars on campus. The amount of parking spaces would be beyond scarce, more than what they are already.

The university understands this ongoing issue and that’s part of the reason why the Pace shuttle bus is provided. It not only takes students to and from the train station in Memorial Plaza, but it also takes students around campus and makes trips to the New York City campus.

Bus schedules and bus stops are setup around campus and it can also be accessed on the MyPaceMobile app so you are never out of the loop and will be able to plan accordingly.

It’ll also be helpful to befriend an upperclassman. More likely than not, they probably have a car on campus and they’ll usually be willing to exert some gas for a trip or two for an incoming freshman.

Having an upperclassman friend is also good because they can sprinkle some knowledge about college, and just life in general, which may be the ice breaker a freshman needs to settle in. So, not having a car on campus may not necessarily be a bad thing.