Breast Cancer Awareness in the Shadow of Distasteful Events

Gratuitous Breast Cancer Awareness Events.

Plenty+of+organizations+look+to+raise+awareness+to+the+importance+of+fighting+breast+cancer%2C+but+the+events+are+throwing+are+becoming+less+effective.+

Plenty of organizations look to raise awareness to the importance of fighting breast cancer, but the events are throwing are becoming less effective.

Middlesexcounty.gov

Middlesexcounty.gov

Middlesexcounty.gov

Christina Bubba, Feature Editor

With October, comes the competition of Pace affiliated organizations taking their shot at hosting the most creative event in support of Breast Cancer Awareness. Sometimes, these events find a tasteful way to raise money for breast cancer… But most times, these events are distasteful, disrespectful, and unsuccessful.

The importance of October as breast cancer awareness month is being lost on so many of these organizations at Pace. The goal has shifted from bringing awareness to the cause, to who can host the most absurd event and bring in the most attendees.

Many of these events are hosted by campus sororities, such as Bra Pong which was hosted by Nu Zeta Phi. The word-play off of beer pong made the purpose of the event self-explanatory; they also had bra decorating.  

Other events were so far from related to breast cancer, that they could have been about anything. Sigma Iota Chi hosted Colors for a Cause, where they hosted a mock Hunger Games themed event with the participants drenched in powdered paint. The link to breast cancer is nonexistent to an outsider.

For some organizations, advertising the event was the furthest they got in their journey to raise money or awareness for a cause. First, the Think Pink Fashion Show that was intended to be held last Saturday by Nu Zeta Phi was cancelled due to the sorority’s temporary ban from campus. Then, Guess a Size, Win a Prize with Sig I Chi proved to be nonexistent.

Plenty of events that are supposed to be in support of this cause have been filtering through Pace this month. The effectiveness of these events would be greater if there was a focus on the quality of the event rather than the number of events that can get squeezed into one month. Because at the end of the day, it’s self-evident they all care about raising awareness for breast cancer, but there is just better and more tasteful ways to go about it.