Photo Courtesy of Pace Athletics.
Softball Sweeps Doubleheader vs Georgian Court
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 20, 2024

LAKEWOOD, N.J.- Pace picked up two road wins versus Georgian Court University yesterday afternoon. Game 1 went Pace's way with a final score...

Front of Miller Hall. Photo Courtesy of webpage.pace.edu
President Krislov on Campus Involvement and School-Town Relations
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 18, 2024

This article is on the topic of on-campus involvement and school/town relations. For the article about academics, the article about student life,...

Outside of the Office of SGA
Diaz And Tracey Wins 2024 SGA Election
Pace Chronicle StaffMarch 15, 2024

Incumbent President Nick Diaz and Vice President Paris Tracey have won reelection to their respective offices in the Student Government Association....

LTE: Remembering A Friend and Colleague: Donald Ryan

To The Editor:

The beginning of the school year is always an exciting time, whether you’re a student or a member of the faculty. This year, however, my excitement for the new semester is tempered because I begin the year without a friend and adviser.

Dr. Donald Ryan, a long-time teacher and former adviser to the student newspaper here at Pace, passed away earlier this summer. I realize that none of the students will know who Don was and that much of the faculty may have turned over since he last taught at Pace.

Yet, I felt compelled to write this to gain some measure of closure regarding his death. Don, along with Bob Klaeger and Howard Livingston, were the go-to instructors when I was a student at Pace in the mid-80s. If you wanted to work and wanted to be pushed academically you took this trio.

I don’t remember exactly how many times I took each of them but they all helped shape my life in one way or another. In Don’s case, he taught me that when I was a smart-ass teenager I wasn’t really all that smart. As an adult, he counseled me on students and classes in addition to simply being a dear friend.

You could sit down and have a beer with Don and discuss movies and music, books and baseball and come away with a better understanding of each subject. As I grew older and leaned on him more, I realized more than ever how special he was.

Don introduced me to the world of newspapers when I was a freshman at Pace and it’s a world in which I have made my living for the last 25 years. I can’t say that I had Don on my mind at all times during the last quarter of a century because that just isn’t true. However, he helped lay the foundation for my career and the thousands of stories I have written over that time can all be traced back to my first class at Pace – a journalism class with Don.

I am friends with Don’s son Paul, also a Pace grad, and my sense of loss certainly pales in comparison to what he and his family have gone through this summer. Yet as August drew to a close, I found myself wanting to speak with Don more and more just to talk about the new semester (and complain about how bad the Mets are) only to catch myself when I remembered it wasn’t possible.

Don meant a great deal to me and I miss him terribly. I only hope that I can have a similar impact on my students as we begin the new school year.

Prof. Kevin Czerwinski

Media and Communication Arts