Happy Hour: Jeff LeBlanc Rocks Kessel

Jeffle+Blanc.+Photo+courtresy+of+Connecticut+post.++
Jeffle Blanc. Photo courtresy of Connecticut post.

David Paulstich, Featured Writer

Pace’s Programming Board hosted folk rock/indie singer and songwriter Jeff LeBlanc for their weekly Happy Hour event in Kessel’s Boudreau Lounge on Fri., Mar. 24.

LeBlanc, a Long Island native, followed an unexpected route towards becoming a folk/rock singer starting off his musical career singing in a recording studio in his high school.

“I had a class in the recording studio and that is how I got introduced and interested to performing,” LeBlanc said. “I have never been the kid in plays, I was always an athlete in high school. It was weird to be playing music, but I was always into music but I was never into where I would sing songs.”

During high school, LeBlanc listened to more hip-hop while playing sports but later on in high school, he listened to more John Mayer, Jason Mraz, and some R&B.

“I was and am into so many kinds of music, which makes it hard as a singer, but not a singer at that time because I wanted to play all those kinds of music,” the undecided musician said. “I’ve gotten into chill house lately but the problem is I don’t really sound like chill house. But I am trying to incorporate it to the music that I sing just like how I incorporate a little of country music.”

In the beginning of LeBlanc’s music career, he admits he was not very good. He took a lot of criticism and gradually got a little better.

When LeBlanc was at Sacred Heart University, located in Fairfield, Conn., he was studying social studies to become a social studies teacher.

“When at Sacred Heart, I played at a little coffee house and people would slowly come to see me sing more and more,” LeBlanc said. “The biggest thing for me was to believe in myself.”

The hardest thing for LeBlanc when singing at the coffee house was finding his own voice. When starting to find his voice, Leblanc wanted to sound like Justin Timberlake, Howie Day, or John Mayer.

“Finding my own voice was the hardest thing for me because when you sing you try to sound like everyone you like,” LeBlanc said. “I love those pop stars they’re pretty amazing.”

After LeBlanc was able to find his voice, he made his first album in 2009 where he would as well do the acoustic on it.

Leblanc became more known in the music industry and started to open up for big-time singers like Tori Kelly, Parachute, Gavin DeGraw, Colbie Caillat, and much more.

Since LeBlanc’s first album, he has created three more albums and has a hit song called “Lost Tonight,” which as well is his favorite.

LeBlanc continues to make music but for now, he wants to only make singles instead of albums.

“Right now, I want to make singles. Everyone seems to be doing singles only lately,” LeBlanc said. “I as well am singing at colleges and doing headlining shows, my next show is in Fairfield, Conn. at a theater.”