Alpha Chi Rho Hosts Game Night

Students at game night. Photo by Jack Fozard

Jack Fozard, Feature Writer

Outside the winds ripped in nearly sub-zero airs last Friday, but through the doors of Butcher Suite, packed with people, laughter and games you wouldn’t be able to tell.

Game Night, hosted by Alpha Chi Rho, seems like a hit, with groups of guys numbering three or more filtering in every time the party threatened to quiet down.

There were flat screen TVs on 3 tables in a crescent formation, with people lining the inside and outside of the crescent in close huddles, all tuned-in to the same frequency and to the same game.

On one screen there is UFC ’18, on another Super Smash Bros., and surrounding all of the TVs were people enough to occupy the available controllers and then some.

For Damian Nguyen, Recruitment, Public Relations and Philanthropy chair for Alpha Chi Rho and planner of Game Night, this is a good sight.

“My favorite part of Game Night in particular….is seeing everyone start vibing because of a game,” says Nguyen. “it’s mainly an event where we want people to come hang out with us. It could be literally anybody, someone interested in video games, someone, interested in the organization.”

And come they did, as the three full tables filled to four, then to five, it was clear that free food, games and hanging out attracted some attention.

“I would say the best part of the event really was the social aspect,” says Nathaniel Linton, a junior transfer student at Pace and a first-time attendee for Game Night. “I think a good component is, besides it being a game night, it’s a social night. You can just talk and get to know the brothers if you’re interested in fraternity life, but even if you aren’t, they have games, so it’s not just that kind of audience.” Audible above the beating music cycling from a Spotify playlist were the cheers of people winning, losing and the casual act of getting to know each other.

Once, after a Super Smash Bros. match, two guys unknown to each other previously, asked each other for their name following an intense match.

“Games are not something the whole community will come toward, but games are something that unite all of us as an organization,” continues Nguyen. “ I know in particular, when I was a freshman, they had Super Smash Bros. set up so you could just walk up to a random person and start playing with them- you instantly vibe with them because of the game.”