Pace Enlists With Operation Hat Trick

Pace students are now able to purchase the above hats at the bookstore.
Part of the proceeds will be donated back to Operation Hat
Trick, which helps service men and women with medical bills.

Pace students are now able to purchase the above hats at the bookstore. Part of the proceeds will be donated back to Operation Hat Trick, which helps service men and women with medical bills.

NATALIA ALVAREZ PAGAN, Sports Editor

Honoring the men and women who fight to serve this country is something that many take pride in. One particular organization, Operation Hat Trick (OHT) has been doing this at the collegiate level for the past 7 years. Now it’s Pace’s turn to enlist as they bring the program to campus.

This partnership, involving the Pace Bookstore, Pace Athletics, and OHT will bring the campus new opportunities for Pace to show their patriotic side.

It’s been about two or three years in the making, according to Assistant Athletic Director Zach Dayton, and it seemed like now was the right time.

“Athletics wanted to provide additional support for those that fight for our country,” Dayton said. “It’s a great program to get involved with and we just felt the timing was right to get in there and be more supportive.”

The program will also see involvement from the Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC). They will provide the program with additional means of promotion while also allowing student athletes to get involved with the cause.

Some research was done in order to make this possible, with Athletics looking at samples of different schools in order to see what they were doing in order to promote the program.

Special military themed Pace hats will be sold at the bookstore as well as games throughout the year, beginning with a basketball doubleheader next year.

“It’s a great opportunity because it will allow us to have more military appreciation days with our various sports,” Dayton said.

Student athletes will get their chance to support the troops with the possibility of wearing the hats during their practices. However, it’s not just for the student athletes, as anyone can make a purchase and show their support. Director of Athletics Mark Brown agrees, saying that it’s a great way for all members of the Pace community to get involved.

“We know our fans and alumni both love Pace and appreciate our military, and this program allows them to support both at the same time,” Brown said.

Part of the proceeds will go back to the Operation Hat Trick program, where the money will go towards medical funds for veterans.

The program was founded in 2008 at the University of New Hampshire, with members wanting a way to memorialize Mike Koch and Nate Hardy, two U.S. Navy Seals who lost their lives in Iraq that same year.

Currently there are about 200 universities across the country involved with the program. The name Operation Hat Trick formed from the initial idea of producing collegiate caps that would be provided for the soldiers that suffered from head injuries.

Now it has weaved its way into the collegiate world, with the leading collegiate headwear company‘47 Brand manufacturing the hats.

Pace members will be able to purchase the hats in the beginning of November at the bookstore.