Football Players Look To Keep Rondeau

NATALIA ALVAREZ PAGAN, Sports Editor

Despite the allegations of abuse and unfulfilled terms of recruitment, a group of football players hope to meet with officials in order to keep their current Head Coach Andrew Rondeau.

As of now, three players will be meeting with school officials this week.

“I don’t want to start over,” one player said. “I’d have to show my high school senior tape. I don’t even have a tape this year. It would be too difficult.”

According to an anonymous source, the coach staff shares this sentiment, stating that a member of staff said that they “[stood] by Rondeau’s leadership.”

The coach reportedly noted that “it’s [his] job to assist [Rondeau]” and that despite not agreeing with his decisions, he still “respects him.”

Given that the entire coaching staff was brought in along with Rondeau, the source said they believe that if Rondeau leaves, the staff and many players will also leave.

“Players are already talking about leaving,” the source said. “If [Rondeau] gets fired, tons of players will leave. They are beginning to wake up to the fact that this is real and they may not have a scholarship anymore.”

The source said that Rondeau’s recruits will likely be the first to go, noting that players who were not recruited under the former coach left before this season.

“They wouldn’t want to play for another coach who might not care about them,” the source said. “College football is all about systems. No player wants to play with a new coach in a new system when they are young and have talent and ability that a new coach may not see.”

Rondeau was put on administrative leave shortly after an article in the New York Post was published with former players Ransford Quarrie and Corey Reeder coming forth with the allegations against their former head coach.

On Nov. 24, President Stephen Friedman in an e-mail to the university described the allegations against Rondeau as “[violating] University policy and the sacred trust that exists between University faculty, staff and students.”

Players have been contacted, but have been advised to not speak to the media on the matter.

Currently, former judge Robert Keating, now Pace’s president of strategic initiatives, is leading the investigation.