Athletics Hires New Assistant Athletic Director

JAMES MIRANDA, Sports Editor

Pace Athletics hired their new Assistant Athletic Director on Mon., Sept. 21 to fill an empty spot.

David Spiegel is coming over from Mount Saint Mary College where he has acted as the Sports Information Director for the past two years.

“[Spiegel] will be an excellent fit with our department and the entire Pace community,” Drew Brown, Associate Athletics Director, said. “He will bring tremendous energy and passion to this position, and we are looking forward to him joining the team.”

Brown spoke to Spiegel on why he chose Pace.

“The commitment to continue improving as an athletics department, including the beautiful brand new athletics facilities and the addition of new programs, makes Pace an ideal place for a young professional like myself to be able to make an impact I can be proud of and to grow professionally,” Spiegel said.

Spiegel is a graduate of SUNY Cortland where he received a Masters of Science in sports management. At Mount Saint Mary he oversaw the 21 varsity sports, wrote press releases, and managed website statistics and social media.

“[Spiegel] is an incredibly talented communications professional who not only has great game day experience, but will also shine the light on the many wonderful stories that our nearly 500 student-athletes have to share,” Brown said.

Before his stint with Mount Saint Mary, Spiegel was the assistant sports information director at SUNY New Paltz, which is also one of the colleges he attended. At New Paltz he had largely the same duties, but to a lesser extent.

Spiegel will be taking over for John Tagliaferri who left Pace earlier this year to continue his career at Caldwell University.

Spiegel began at Pace this Monday and can be found in the Goldstein Fitness Center.