Goalkeeper Hayley Pascoal Propelling Women’s Soccer

Pace soccer’s second-string goalkeeper Hayley Pascoal took over as goalkeeper on Oct. 4 and has been vital to the team’s playoff push the last few weeks of their season. Photo from paceuathletics.com.

James Miranda, Sports Editor

Pace soccer’s goalkeeper Hayley Pascoal is nervous before every game, but that may be the reason why the team is in the playoffs.

The Freehold, NJ native began playing soccer at seven-years-old in recreational leagues, but didn’t take it seriously until sophomore year of high school. She was recruited by Pace her senior year and was given a chance to play for the team.

The program made her nervous upon arrival because it was a brand new slate with brand new teammates.

“I was definitely nervous [coming into college and soccer], I didn’t know what to expect, I didn’t know how I’d fit in with twenty-five other people, but obviously it worked out,” Pascoal said.

Soccer Head Coach Mike Winn switched Pascoal to midfielder in 2014, however, putting her in an unfamiliar position.

“Whatever I was told to do, I did it and I did it to the best of my abilities,” said Pascoal, who’s a goalie by trade. “I don’t trade that for anything because it just teaches you to overcome adversity, work hard, and take one for the team. I wasn’t mad about it; they asked me to do it and I said yes.”

She had no problem switching positions and it was for the better because it erased any nervous predispositions and helped her overcome it.

Winn switched her back to her initial position in 2015 due to injuries to other goalkeepers. It didn’t necessarily put her back a year, but she had to relearn the fundamentals.

Pascoal relearned the basics and didn’t falter when she was given a chance to perform this season.

The five-foot-six goalkeeper collected 31 saves and ranks second in the Northeast-10 (NE-10) Conference in save percentage (0.838) in the eight games she played this season. She was named Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Defensive Player of the Week twice between Oct. 9-23, as well.

“[Pascoal’s] put in four shutouts and that’s definitely helped us to get where we need to be for the playoffs,” goalkeeper Sam Mitchell said. “She wouldn’t put herself before anyone else. She wants what’s best for the team.”

Pace went 5-3 in their last eight games of the season, which included four shutouts and a playoff-clinching double overtime 2-1 win at Assumption College last Saturday.

“Yeah I was [nervous Saturday], it was a huge game for us and we needed this game to make playoffs,” said Pascoal, who had two saves in the win Saturday. “It’s a good nervous, it’s a good feeling knowing that you hold your own destiny.”

Good nervous is better than not being nervous at all for Pascoal and her success has shown it.