Brad Paterson: Skates for Cleats

Brad Paterson. Photo by Photo Athletics.

TJ Combs, Featured Writer

Brad Paterson is a staple for Pace men’s lacrosse, but he grew up playing and thriving in hockey.

Paterson grew up Caldwell, N.J. as an avid Rangers fan, which is why he played hockey with a local club team, the New Jersey Colonials. where Paterson was coached by actual NHL veterans John MacLean and Randy Velischek

“I always dreamt of playing in the NHL,” said Paterson, a 5-foot-8-inch attacker. “Then in high school, I realized I was a little too small to play goalie, so I realized that I had a future in lacrosse. I thought I was going to be a [hockey] star but I have the speed and agility more for lacrosse.”

The sophomore has racked up 42 goals with a shot percentage of .304, as well as being named Northeast-10 (NE-10) Player of the Week twice already in his career thus far with Pace.

“A lot of teams in our division have been successful,” the finance major said. “But this year we have a lot going for us, just because our culture has changed. One person alone isn’t going to make this team. You can see our chemistry even off the field.”

Despite moving on to lacrosse, Paterson’s hockey roots still hold strong. Even traveling up to Canada with fellow hockey lover and teammate Wyatt Barfoot on a yearly basis.

“I’m fully dedicated to lacrosse,” Paterson said. “I do miss [Hockey]. I miss that same rush I used to get like when I play lacrosse, especially playing goalie and watching the puck. But the jitters I get before a game are similar; it’s the same feeling on game day.”

Paterson says before big games he reminds himself of a favorite television quote of his, “Clear Eyes, Full Heart, Can’t Lose.” A favorite motivational tool among student athletes nowadays.

“I think everyone plays better when the only thing you’re focused on is the game itself,” said Paterson who earned ECAC Offensive player of the week between April 25-30. “We’ve come a long way and with the playoffs coming up anything could happen.”

Pace Men’s Lacrosse is on a six-game win streak heading into the NE-10 Conference championships this week. With the playoffs stakes as high as ever, Pace Lacrosse can breathe easy knowing Brad Peterson traded in his skates for cleats.