This Week in Sports: 10/27-10/28

Three+of+the+six+teams+in+action+this+week+celebrated+its+Senior+Day.+Photo+Courtesy+of+Pace+U+Athletics.+
Three of the six teams in action this week celebrated its Senior Day. Photo Courtesy of Pace U Athletics.

Kwadar Ray, Sports Editor

10/27 – Pace Women’s Swimming team improved to 3-0, while the men’s team fell to 1-2 in its meets against Rowan in the Goldstein Fitness Center. On the women’s side, freshman Annabel Keppel-Palmer led the way with top times in the 200 fly (2:13.35) and 200 back (2:09.87), while also breaking the school record in the 200 IM (2:11.42). Both men’s and women’s teams will be back in action this Saturday in road meets against Adelphi.

10/28 – Women’s Field Hockey, which has proven to be the cream of the crop of Pace athletics, has concluded its historic regular season with a 15-3 record after defeating Saint Michaels 3-1 on Senior Day. Seniors Lesly Sanchez Alvarez and Margaret Maclean led the stellar defensive performance with seven saves in the regular season finale. Sanchez Alvarez finishes the season with the nation’s second best goals-against average (0.82) and second best save percentage (.837). The Setters are the No. 3 seed heading into the NE-10 tournament and the eight ranked team in the nation.

10/28 – Women’s Volleyball improved to 12-14 after a road victory against Saint Michaels. The Setters have now won six of their past seven games and are 6-4 in the conference, which betters their chances of making the NE-10 Tournament for the second consecutive year.

10/28 – Women’s Soccer not only honored seven seniors on Senior Day, but also clinched the No. 5 seed in the NE-10 Tournament with a 2-1 victory over Le Moyne College. Junior forward Victoria Kealy’s clutch goal in the second half proved to be the game winner for the Setters. Senior goalkeeper Hayley Pascoal played lights out per usual, with a season-high 10 saves in the net. The Setters finish its regular season 9-8-1, with eight wins in the NE-10 conference.

10/28 – The Football team was pummeled by LIU Post, 41-14, on Senior Day. After the Setters went up 7-6 with a 2-yard score by freshman running back Anthony Carter-Guy in the second quarter, the contest went downhill to say the least. They allowed 35 unanswered points before scoring another touchdown in the fourth quarter. After a promising start to the season, the Setters have lost three straight and are now 3-5. The Setters will face another tough challenge this Saturday on the road against 4-4 Stonehill College.