Pace’s New Track Club Creates an Outlet for All Types of Runners

Members of Paces new track team. Photo by Carmen Ballon

Carmen Ballon, Social Media Manager

Pace Track Club jump starts the semester with the hope to become a new collegiate team, while giving beginner runners an option to train as well.

Ayanna Armstrong and Jaria Barrie, co-founders of Pace Track club, had their first official practice on Jan.30.

“We started it to get back into shape,” said Ayanna Armstrong. “We ran in high school…we hope it can turn into a team.”

With the help of David Robinson, Pace University’s Cross Country coach, Robinson will coach the competitive runners of the club in hopes to assist with their goal.

“Right now there is not enough money in the budget to create a team…but when we start going to competitions….when we start getting good and placing in those…then they will think about making a track team,” said Ayanna Armstrong.

While not all the runners are competitive, Monique Garcia uses the club as an outlet to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

“I wanted to get fit…. I wanted to start exercising more for this new year,” said Monique Garcia. “I want to get my stamina up…I want to get physically healthy…”

“All types of runners can join,” said Ayanna Armstrong.

Armstrong is looking for anyone that is committed or wants to be healthy.

“I am looking for someone who is committed to running and better health. We’re looking for people who want to compete too…. we’re going to branch out…. have people who just want to workout.. and people who want to race,” said Ayanna Armstrong.

The club meets twice a week at 6:30pm. Practices are adjusted to your style of fitness. Each practice is an hour long.

The competitive track team meets five times a week, at the same time, but with the Cross Country coach instructing.

The Pace Track club hopes to compete in several invitational’s or dual meets against other track clubs. One day, Ayanna Armstrong hopes that Pace University can host a running invitational of their own.

“We’re trying to make an event here…possibly at the end of the year I hope,” said Armstrong.

Armstrong’s passion for running has created an outlet for all runners. She believes that “the buzz of running is one-of-a-kind.”

Pace track club continues to strengthen. The club hopes to assist others and possibly become a new athletic team.