Top Three Pace Sports Highlights from 2018-2019

Sequoia Cumming

Pace sports proved to be talented after breaking records and earning high ranks throughout the school year.

Sequoia Cumming, Senior Reporter

Pace baseball’s loss to Le Moyne on May 7 did not just end its season, but it also closed out the 2018-2019 athletic year. Although no teams came away with an NE-10 conference title, this school year saw different Setter programs reach new heights. Here are three highlights from this year in Pace athletics.

#3. Men’s lacrosse

The Setters (13-4, 8-3 NE-10) finished the season with the second-most wins in team history en route to ending the season ranked 11th in the USILA National Coaches poll.

Pace reached the conference tournament semifinals before dropping a 15-12 decision to Adelphi, which entered the tournament ranked third nationally.

Senior attackman Danny Keenan led the Setters with a conference-leading 90 points. His point total, which was a program record, included program highs in goals [50, third in NE-10] and assists [40, second in NE-10].

Freshman goalie Louis Ragusa was also among the conference leaders, posting a 9.47 goals against [third overall].

#2. Football

The Setters (7-3), who had spent much of the previous decade setting marks for futility, blossomed this season, winning the most games since becoming a Division II program.

Pace finished the season with a 6-3 mark in the NE-10, closing out the season by winning five of its final six games, which included victories in the last three games. The only blemish over that six-game stretch was an Oct. 20 loss at CW Post, which was the No. 20 program in the country at the time.

Jhalen Bien-Aime [922 rushing yards] finished his career as the school’s all-time leading rusher [2,242]. His 194 carries were also third-most in school history.

#1. Field Hockey

The Setters entered the season unranked yet led the country in victories [18-3], reaching the NCAA Division II semifinals before losing a 3-0 decision to No. 2 East Stroudsburg. Pace, which closed out the regular season on a 14-game winning streak, was ranked as high as second in national polls during the season.

The highlight of the season came on Nov. 25 when the Setters defeated St. Anselm, 6-1, in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament at Finnerty Field.

Freshman goalie Grace Henderson had possibly the biggest impact during the season, posting a 0.85 goals against to finish second in the country.