Five Tips for Freshman Success

Courtesy of Pexels

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

Although freshman year is a very unique time for any student, most of us are really just experiencing the same things. We’ve all been there; the first bad grade, the first A+, second guessing our majors, being on a rollercoaster of emotions, making friends, losing those friends, and then making new ones. Sounds about right – but don’t freak out. I’m here to tell you what I wish someone would have told me 3 years ago. Behold, your freshman year bible.

First, I’d like to extend the warmest welcome to all of our new students and big congratulations on making it to college! With that being said, my first advice is to stop freaking out. You’re here and you made it. This doesn’t mean you should turn into a potato. It means you should cut yourself some slack and try to avoid mentally exhausting yourself when you overthink and stress out about minor things. Remember to look at the big picture and the bright side of any situation. Trust me, this is a positive habit that will stay with you for a long time.

Second, take as many different classes as you can. I know you think you know what you want to do for the rest of your life, but there’s a good chance that taking a certain class will spark an interest in the most unexpected field. For example, a friend of mine started out as a history major – an area she’s super passionate about. After taking just one psychology class her freshman year, she found her true calling and switched majors after having such a pleasant experience that semester. Of course, there are other students like myself who’s majors haven’t budged after taking different classes, but those classes did however expand my thinking and make me a more well-rounded student. Win-win.

Third, get involved on campus. I am truly convinced that this is the best way to not only make friends on campus, but also to make your presence (and resume) that much stronger. Join clubs, go to events, attend different meetings and see if they’re a good fit for you. And if they’re not, that’s totally cool, because you can absolutely start your own club. You should never feel limited on the Pace campus, because the opportunities are there, you just need to find them.

Fourth, put all of your expectations aside and be your authentic self. Cliche or not, this is crucial. Thanks to movies, TV shows, books, etc., we all have this standard image of what freshman year of college is supposed to look like. This type of thinking is extremely detrimental because it can really limit your experiences. And because reality is nothing like the movies, there’s a good chance that you might be devastated if college isn’t how you imagined it to be. So save yourself the heartache, and start your college career with an open mind – ready to do it all. Stay true to yourself and let your experiences mold you into the person you’re meant to be. You’ve got a ton of growing to do.

Finally, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Whether it be in class, in the hallway, in the library – you should never feel discouraged from asking a simple or complicated question. Luckily, due to our small community – Pace really feels like your second family. And that’s coming from a commuter. Everyone here is genuinely nice and won’t mind you stopping them if you need any help. Bonus tip: befriend upperclassmen. They’re not as intimidating as you think. We’ve all been there and done that so we know what you’re going through. Still shy? Well you’ve officially got a friend in me!