Response to BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall
Response to "BIPOC Mentors Unpaid Since Fall"
Pace Chronicle StaffApril 12, 2024

We thank Dr. Stephanie Akunvabey, Ms. Nila Bhaumik, and Ms. Susan Donahue for taking the article, posted on March 15th, 2024, into consideration...

Graduate Attacker Sydney Juvelier(#14) leaps in celebration with teammates Nikki Mottes(#28) and Lindsay Radmann(#23) vs Adelphi University on April 10, 2024(pacewlax/IG)
#1 WLAX Overcomes #3 Adelphi in Road Test

GARDEN CITY, N.Y.-  Another top-5 matchup went to the Setters. Pace Women's Lacrosse defeated the Adelphi University Panthers 12-11 on the road....

Monkey Man Poster
Source: Wikipedia
Monkey Man: The Revival of Action Movies

Monkey Man is an action/thriller movie released on March 11th, 2024, directed by and starring Dev Patel. Patel’s career breakthrough was his...

The Mainstream Hipster

In the late 90’s a subculture began to evolve and gain attention. This contemporary subgroup held an independent point of view that veered away from mainstream ideals to compliment a more creative counter-culture. These innovative individuals combined and formed a selection of people that valued vintage style apparel, thick-rimmed glasses, music of which the general public had never heard, and liberal progressive politics. In this day and age this person is known as a “hipster”.

However, due to the rise in technology and communications, this secret subculture is no longer a secret but the latest trend.

“Hipster has become a mainstream style,” said freshman nursing major Daniel Dukue. “The culture is dead.”

The trend and style have become more apparent in modern fashion.

“I see it all the time, especially in the city,” senior childhood education major Lisa Fitzpatrick said. “You can even see it here on campus, with people wearing the combat boots and crop tops.”

Many believe that the modern technology has had an effect on the subculture.

“The internet definitely played a major role,” Fitzpatrick said. “Plus the celebrity influence.”

In this era, people can easily go online and view videos, photos, blogs, and other sites that have popularized the hipster. Additionally, online shopping has become a gateway to the latest trends, allowing people to purchase almost anything with a credit card and just a click of a mouse.

“Technology has helped the culture spread,” freshman chemistry and education major Briana Siaca said. “Sites like Tumblr and Instagram made the hipster style more well-known to the public.”

Many use these websites to keep up with the trend.

“I like to follow the trend through Tumblr or find out about new bands by using well-known ‘hipster’ bands as a gateway, like Florence and the Machine or Foster the People,” Siaca said.

Many would consider these bands as sellouts because they decided to cater to a wider audience, rather than stay underground.

“Bands are just doing their own thing, there is nothing wrong with them gaining more success,” freshman biology major Sara Genova said. “I don’t mind hipsters, but I don’t like it when they throw it in a person’s face.”

Be that as it may, many people who follow the trend don’t associate themselves with the hipster culture.

“I have ‘hipster’ stuff, like clothes and other different things, but I like it because it’s cute, not because it’s ‘hipster’,” Genova said. “If you like it, you like it.”

Although the hipster trend has had a major push into mainstream culture, like all styles, the trend will most likely pass by soon.

“It’s just a fad,” senior business major Shawna Dykens said. “I give it another five years.”

On the other hand, some feel that it will not go out that easy. Styles cycle through the years, what is trending now will not be trending tomorrow; the term “hipster” is undergoing a constant evolution.

“There will always still be hipsters, it’s a pretty big movement,” Fitzpatrick said. “It may not be the exact same culture as it is now, it may evolve.”

Nonetheless, others don’t think it is that big of a deal.

“People don’t really know it’s a culture, they are just following the trends,” freshman communications major Jasmine Johnson said. “Everything that was once underground has just come to the light.”