Evan Mahanna April 20, 2024

Nicholas Diaz and Paris Tracey April 19, 2024

Outfielder Layla Michelson high-fives catcher Carolina Iturriga during a home game(paceathletics/IG)
Softball Goes through New York City Area Colleges Spotless

NEW YORK- Pace Softball had a mini tour through New York City starting at Staten Island and ending in Queens, resulting in three more victories. On...

THIS FALL’S MOST ANTICIPATED

Photo from Youtube.com Gravity

Most people are aware that films that have a good shot at an Oscar come out during the fall. Even films that aren’t necessarily Oscar worthy, but are actually worth seeing, also tend to be released in the fall.

This season we’re going to see amazing performances from everyone you love, from Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio to Jennifer Law- rence. They’ll all be there, so you should do the same. Here are the season’s top contenders that will surely keep you on the edge of your seat.

Gravity:

Oscar winning dream team George Clooney and Sandra Bullock are teaming up for what seems to be the eeriest movie of the season. During a spacewalk, Bullock and Clooney are disconnected from their space shuttle by debris from a satellite. The two must find a way to survive. At the moment that’s all we know about Gravity, but James Cameron was recently quoted saying “It’s the best space movie ever done,” so clearly there’s a lot more to it than meets the eye. Gravity will be released Oct. 2.

12 Years a Slave:

Featuring a star studded cast including names like Paul Giamatti, Brad Pitt, and Chiwetel Ejiofor, Steve Mc- Queen’s latest film is shaping up to be a hit. With the amount of historical films in the past year, 12 Years a Slave is aiming towards a similar demographic. The film is based off the story of Salomon Northup, a freed slave who is then resold into slavery. From there the movie tells us about his life working on a plantation in Louisiana. It seems like it has a lot of potential with a award winning cast and producers, but it’s still quite a departure from McQueen’s area of expertise. 12 Years a Slave will be released in theaters Oct. 17.

Salinger:

Based on the life of one of America’s greatest writers, Salinger focuses on the controversy that literally took control of J.D. Salinger’s life. The documentary features input from stars like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Judd Apatow, John Cusack, and Edward Norton just to name a few. After Salinger wrote The Catcher in the Rye, America was never the same. The book was held as an inspiration for the gunman associated with many shootings, including the death of John Lennon. The documentary gives us a in depth view into the mysteri- ous life of Salinger and what he’s been up to for all of these years. It seems that Salinger will definitely be the top contender for the Academy Award for Best Documentary. Salinger will be released Sep. 6.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire:

It goes without saying that the new Hunger Games film, Catching Fire, will be a seat filler. Jennifer Law- rence did a phenomenal job with the first film and it would be surprising if she didn’t do the same a second time. Based on the incredibly successful The Hunger Games book series, Catching Fire picks up from the last film, following Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark. Katniss and Peeta embark on a “Victory Tour” after winning the 74 Hunger Games. The two broke the rules during the game, igniting a rebellion within Panem’s poorest districts. The two go on to compete in the 75 Hunger Games, in which all competitors are previous victors. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will be released on Nov. 22.