Artist Spotlight: Stacy Wells

Voice Of A Campus

Artist Spotlight: Stacy Wells

Derek Kademian, Arts & Entertainment Editor

If you have ever been to a Pace sporting event, or the yearly convocational ceremony, there’s a strong chance that you have had the pleasure of hearing Stacy Wells sing.

The senior English and publishing major has been performing ever since she was four years old, in various competitions large and small.

“My mom said I would stand on chairs and rock out to Barney,” said Wells of her childhood.

Growing up in Beacon, New York, she performed at local talent shows and at their minor league baseball team’s games, The Renegades.

With no professional training, Wells relied upon influences from her family to hone her style.

“My grandparents live with us and my siblings are much older than me, so my range of influences is sort of random,” Wells said. “I grew up around the typical 90s music like Mariah Carey, Bon Jovi, and Whitney Houston, but my grandparents would play Tom Jones all the time, so there was a lot of diversity in my house.”

Not only did they influence her musically, they are also one of the biggest inspirations in her life.

“My grandmother fell ill when I was a kid, she had surgery that restricted her from singing, but she would tell me that I should sing for her because she can’t,” Wells said. “My little cousins and nieces always tell me I’m famous for singing in the shower, they’ll always hang around outside and they pretend it’s a mini concert.”

Wells has performed at many events, such as various talent shows and dozens of baseball, softball, and football games throughout her Pace career. But her experience doesn’t just stop at Pace, she’s also auditioned for a few television series.

“I tried out for the television show Glee once, obviously it didn’t work out, but it was still a really cool experience,” Wells said.

If her career in publishing doesn’t pan out, she wants to pursue professional singing and possibly try out for her favorite television show, The Voice. Having younger nieces and cousins has made her realize the importance of music and how it impacts them, especially in early developmental stages.

“I think music is one of the most important things you can teach a child, I love seeing my cousins react to my singing, they just become entranced and it brings them such joy, it’s shame that schools are constantly cutting back on their music programs,” Wells said. “I would love to teach underprivileged kids about music, the last thing I want to do is live a selfish life; God gave me this gift and I want to use it to help other people.”