Cassata Presents the Hudson River Valley Through Art Presentation

Photo Credit: The Athaenaeum

Views of the Beacon hills painted by one of the Hudson River Painters, Asher B. Duran.

Taylor Longenberger, News Editor

Glancing out across the waterway that is carved through the Hudson Valley, artists see the connections between nature and beauty. As the Hudson River attracts many from all around to see, those that live nearby may not even realize the beauty that lies in the body of water that is often just a passing glance on the way to school or work.

Professor Mark Cassata presented the Hudson River Painters, opening the eyes of students to the history of the river just outside of Pace’s realm.

Cassata discussed the progression of industry throughout the Hudson Valley and other areas along the Hudson River. A display of paintings by Thomas Cole and Asher B. Duran accompanied the presentation. The Hudson River Painters focused on landscapes depicting the beauty of the nature around the river. All of the paintings include the river in one way or another, and many of the oil paintings were done on-sight, especially in the Coldspring, Beacon, and Newburgh areas.

Like many of the impressionists at the time, the Hudson River Painters use of dramatic color and loose brushstrokes create a passionate expression of nature.

“The pastoral state of the eighteen hundreds is shown in many paintings done by the painters,” Cassata said. “Destruction of trees and the dramatic incorporation of the industry-driven metropolis grew into the paintings, questioning society.”

Cassata explained that the middle class, who had a deeper appreciation for natural beauty and art, bought the landscapes. With the Hudson Valley’s farming prominence the paintings grew in popularity to the masses.

Exhibits of the Hudson River Painter’s work have been displayed all over the Hudson Valley. For interest in learning more about the Hudson River Painters contact Mark Cassata or visit one of the many exhibits throughout

the country.