Pop-Rap Group DNK Come To Programming’s Happy Hour

CRISTINA CUDUCO, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Pop-Rap group DNK performed Thur., Nov. 6 in Setter’s Lounge during Programming Board’s weekly Happy Hour.

DNK’s performance included original songs, covers from popular performers, and mash-ups of both contemporary and antiquated hits. The performers encouraged those in the audience to use social media platforms Twitter and Instagram to tag DNK’s official page in photos taken throughout the night for chances to win prizes.

DNK, a Nashville-based act, includes vocalist David Davis, rapper Kayla Erb, and members Peter Ferguson, Blake Swiggum, and Ryan Fisher. They have been together for the last year and a half and have toured throughout the country, coast to coast, in their white van, which they have affectionately call Benni.

“Imagine what you thought being in a band would be like when you were a kid,” Erb said. “It’s exactly like that; going all over the place with your friends and having fun…it’s just great.”

Student Government Executive Vice President Dan Garcia was among the estimated 30 attendants.

“Personally, I thought that it was a great performance, probably the best I’ve seen and been to. The fact that DNK made it interactive and more personable really made the experience worth it, and I was glad I came,” Garcia said.

While previous Happy Hour events have begun at 4:30 p.m., this performance by DNK began at 8:00 p.m. The decision to start later was due to the poor turn out at earlier Happy Hours, which were attended by no more than 20 students at a time.

“I’m trying to work out which times will attract more students,” Vice President of Programming Tameka Bazile said. “I figured maybe a little later was better for everyone.”

Happy Hour is one of Bazile’s new initiatives during her second year in the Programming position.

“I find that most students don’t take advantage of the fact that we have free events on campus, and yet, I hear complaints that there isn’t anything to do around campus,” Garcia said.

As for the future of DNK, they will be continuing on their local college tour, which has already taken them throughout New England and the Tri-state area, including a stop on Fri., Nov. 7 at St. John’s University.

For more information and tour dates, visit www.DNKofficial.com or visit them on Twitter and Instagram @TheDNKOfficial.