Comedian Ronnie Jordan Performs at Pace

Ronnie Jordan entertains his audience.

Photo by Carlos Villamayor.

Ronnie Jordan entertains his audience.

Carlos Villamayor, Editor in Chief

Stand-up comedian Ronnie Jordan performed at Kessel Student Center on Thu., Jan. 29, as part of his #KampusRoyaltyTour.

The performance was part of the Programming Board’s Thursday Happy Hour series of events, directed by VP of Programming Tameka Bazile.

The night began at 8:00 p.m. with comedian Yohancé Collins, who opened for Jordan, setting the mood with jokes on relationships between young men and older women.

Jordan drew inspiration from everything around him. He joked about the glass cage appearance of the Multipurpose Room, and sent the audience roaring when he noticed someone in the audience nodding off.

Freshmen Marissa Cotroneo, Hayley Senft, and Ariel Crump did not know of the event until that evening, but they said they had a good time.

“I am happy I came here. I hope he’s back some day,” Crump said.

Jordan also joked about public schools, lunch food, bathroom, Wal-Mart visits, his baby son, and a cart with pizza and drinks that was being taken to a different event.

“He engaged the crowd,” Senft said. “His jokes were really good. You could connect to them.”

Bazile thought of bringing Jordan, who has been doing stand-up comedy for 12 years, to Pace after seeing him perform at a conference in Syracuse.

The comedy show had a good turnout, according to Bazile, who said it has not usually been that way with other events in the past.

The event took place in Kessel Student Center’s Multipurpose Room, one of the new features that were built as part of Kessel’s renovation.

“Hopefully, with the new space here at Kessel, people will want to be here and come to the events,” Bazile said.

Ronnie Jordan can be found on Twitter and Instagram @ronniejordan.