Women’s History Spotlight

Caitlin Kelly

Olivia Zucker, Copy Editor

Finding a young woman so dedicated to inclusion, equality, and giving back is extraordinary, but for Caitlin Kelly, it’s second nature.

Kelly, program coordinator for the Center for Community Action and Research (CCAR), is committed to raising awareness for social issues such as income inequality, disability awareness, and women’s empowerment.  Additionally, Kelly and CCAR match students with community service opportunities, both within and outside of Pace.

“It’s really important to put yourself in other people’s shoes and get outside of yourself and your understanding of other people’s experiences,” Kelly said.  “Volunteer work gets you into a group or a mindset you wouldn’t normally get to be in on a day-to-day basis.”

Kelly’s dedication community outreach began with her Jesuit high school and college education at Georgetown University, which placed a heavy emphasis on giving back to the community.  She was also a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a community service sorority that focused on making a positive impact on both a large and small scale.

Her recent projects include “Alternative Spring Break”, a program where students participate in Hurricane Sandy relief efforts in the Rockaways during their vacation time and “Take Action”, a program which CCAR raises awareness about different social issues each month.

Between advocating for social justice and rebuilding her community, Kelly also finds time to teach and avidly participate in Irish dance.  She has been Irish dancing for 25 years and received her teaching certification in Ireland in 2011.  Kelly has taught women and men of all ages at an Irish dance summer camp.  With Kelly’s guidance, one of her classes on stage presence quickly evolved from focusing on posture and charisma to encouraging positive body image and self-worth.

“I realized these young girls were being so hard on themselves, so I wanted to start a movement to empower them and make them feel like they don’t have to compare themselves to one another,” Kelly said.  “I wanted to create an environment of respect, and I wanted them to realize that everyone can learn from each other.”

Her commitment to positive change was fostered by her family of resilient and giving women, those closest to her; her mother and sister.

“I come from a family full of strong women,” Kelly said.  “It’s really inspiring to see not just how they survived, but thrived, through obstacles and have still been able to remain so positive and generous.”

Along with her family, Kelly draws inspiration from prominent and positive female figures in the media, such as Academy Award winning actress Lupita Nyong’o.

“When Lupita came to America from Kenya, she wasn’t affected by the layers of oppression women face here,” said Kelly, referencing one of Nyong’o’s interviews.  “I’m curious to see how she’s going to move forward, because she doesn’t feel she has to question her talent.”

Kelly’s commitment to social justice and equal opportunity has shown her not just how far women and other oppressed members of society have come, but how long the road is ahead of them.  Still, Kelly remains optimistic.

“I think the recent feminist movement is about living your life to the fullest, and having access to all the opportunities to do that,” Kelly said.  “Women are not the minority.  When women have access to education and more opportunities to grow, it leads not only to a stronger economy, but a better world and better opportunities for all people.”