Young, Broke, and Fabulous: Breakouts at College

Let’s face it, Pace; everyone has acne. Whether the breakouts are never ending or only appearing when the stress is high, everyone has experienced it at one time or another. Weather and age can al­ter the normal routine of students’ skin in unwanted ways. Below are possible solutions to acne for any skin type.

DRY SKIN

To prevent more drying of the skin, try to use lotions, creams, or ointments that say oil-free as the preferred acne treatment. This will be gentler to the skin while still doing its job. Staying away from acne pads and strong toners will help the skin in the long run. Also, using a good moisturizer regularly will help fight against the dryness. Having body acne as well? Make sure all lotions are oil-free to pre­vent clogged pores.

OILY SKIN

To fight against oily skin, stu­dents should focus on cleaning their face every single day. This ensures the dirty oils of everyday life are washed away and not lay­ering onto itself. Using a gentle cleanser with warm, not hot, water is the most important to students with oily skin. This prevents the increase of oil production on the face. To attack the acne after wash­ing the face, the use of acne pads is recommended. This dries out the breakout area and decreases the size of the acne. To speed up the elimination process of acne, use an exfoliating brush three times a week before bed. This helps keep the skin smooth while not over-irritating.

SENSITIVE SKIN

Having sensitive skin can be the most difficult to deal with. Making sure the cleansers, treat­ments and soaps are unscented is the most important. This elimi­nates the possibility of breaking out unexpectedly. Washing your face twice a day is recommended. Try using Dove Unscented Soap with a new washcloth every day. For a moisturizer, try using Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion. This is gentle enough to use on the face. For treatments, anything hy­poallergenic is helpful. Clean and Clear is the most popular brand for sensitive skin that can still get the job done.

With these simple steps, facing acne has never been easier.