Pace Offers Health & Wellness Courses for Spring 2015

KAITLYN SZILAGYI, Health & Beauty Editor

As course registration draws near, students can register for several Health & Wellness courses being offered for the spring 2015 semester.

Wellness and Physical Fitness (HW 101) is a study of the various factors of total fitness. In this course, students are required to analyze their own eating habits, partake in workouts prescribed by their professor, and gain a better understanding of how important it is to stretch before any workout. Five sections of this course are being offered next semester, each with fifteen seats available for students. The course provides two credits for students.

Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries (HW 103) serves as “a detailed study of the prevention practices, inquiry, recognition, and evaluation, initial care and emergency procedures, and rehabilitation theories.” There is only one section of this course being offered next semester with fifteen open seats and offers three credit hours.

Yoga (HW 105) covers “postures, movements, deep breathing, meditation, and visualization for complete mental and physical relaxation.” This course provides students one credit hour. With two sections being offered, each with fifteen spots available for students, is also a great option.

For those who may have already taken this course, or for any who consider themselves well-practiced yogis, the University is also offering a one section, one-credit Advanced Yoga course (HW155) with fifteen seats open.

For those seeking martial arts exercise or self-defense training, Judo: Self-Defense (HW 111) is being offered in two sections. Each section has fifteen openings, and the course is worth one credit hour. The course takes its materials and techniques from martial arts forms including Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Hap Ki Do, Jiu Jitsu, and Judo. According to the description, “This course will focus on an all-around approach to self-defense.”

Senior psychology major Emily Blakley said she loved her experience in Judo: Self-Defense.

“It was a great class. Super difficult, but the professor was amazing. He really tried to get everyone to believe they could do all these hard things he was throwing at us to do,” she said. “We did stretching before and after every lesson, and then he taught us holds, chokes, and throws, and paired us up to fight.”

In addition to these aforementioned courses, Pace is offering other Health & Wellness courses including Golf, Basketball for Men and Women, Swimming, Intro to Scuba Diving, and Stress Reduction, Comp. & Alternative Therapy.

With any further questions regarding these courses, be sure to talk to advisement before registering.