Social Anxiety Affects Student Success

KAITLYN SZILAGYI, Health & Beauty Editor

At Pace, as with universities and secondary schools throughout the world, social anxiety is a known concern, keeping several students from getting involved in organizations, pursuing leadership opportunities, or making friends outside the classroom.

Symptoms of social anxiety can be both cognitive and physical and often result in one’s avoidance of social situations altogether due to emotional discomfort, confusion, shaking, pounding heart, muscle tension, and even upset stomach.

The real issue that arises in an academic setting, given the presence of social anxiety, is how it can impact students’ social and academic success. Several studies have been conducted on the subject.

Researcher and educator Cassie Dobson of Northern Michigan University wrote in 2012, “Students with anxiety problems tend to show lower levels of academic achievement, self-efficacy, and self-concept.”

In her research, Professor Dobson also brings to light the issue of self-prescribed perfection, where a student places high expectations of social and academic perfection upon his or her self, versus socially prescribed perfection, in which others place these expectations upon them.

It was noticed, “Socially-prescribed perfectionism tends to be more harmful to students. Students may develop anxiety problems because they are very worried about fulfilling others’ expectations.”

Avoiding such anxiety requires a supportive and encouraging environment from friends, teachers, and family from an early age. However, once social anxiety has developed in students, there are several ways to help students cope.

If students are provided attention and support by their professors and advisors, they often feel more confident and secure in their ability to communicate and feel less self-conscious when they make mistakes or misunderstand.

Of course, a tried and true method of coping with social anxiety is to face one’s fears head on.

One can start small, by simply volunteering to answer a question in class. This can help students grow more comfortable speaking up in crowded spaces as well as positively reinforce their confidence with class material.

Students can attend a social gathering on campus, and try to meet at least one new person. Through continuously trying, one may likely become more socially comfortable and confident.

Last but not least, should one find his or her social anxiety truly debilitating or overwhelming either when preparing to go out or while out in public, find a quiet space and partake in mindfulness meditation.

Mindfulness meditation is as variation of Buddhist Vipassana meditation in which one closes their eyes, engages in deep breathing, and focuses all their energy towards becoming aware of his or her emotions and thoughts in that direct moment.

This technique can assist in relaxation and centering oneself from their anxiety.