Consider Meditation for Health

Kaitlyn Szilagyi, Health & Beauty Editor

Meditation, specifically transcendental meditation, is defined as “a technique, based on Hindu writings, by which one seeks to achieve a relaxed state through regular periods of meditation during which a mantra is repeated.” This technique is becoming a universal method of coping with stress and additional physical ailments.

There are several forms of meditation in addition to the transcendental type, including guided, mantra, mindfulness, qi gong, tai chi, yoga, and others. Each form employs a different perspective in order to achieve relaxation and better overall health.

For example, guided meditation requires participants to rely on mental images of places or scenes they find relaxing, whereas mantra meditation requires one to repeat a calming word or two to oneself.

Mindfulness meditation relies on having a profound awareness and being absolutely involved in the present. Qi gong, on the other hand, relies on the practice of relaxation mixed with physical movement and breathing exercises.

A junior business management student, who preferred to remain anonymous, described her years of experience practicing Qi Gong.

“It encourages a physical grounding with the Earth. The point is to keep your placement with the Earth,” she said. “Repetitive motions, focusing on counting, clearing your head of noise, and keeping a balanced breath slow your heart rate, forcing your body to release anxiety.”

Recent research also suggests meditation is not simply good for mental health but is beneficial for physical ailments as well.

The Journal of Advanced Nursing published an article in 2012 by Ellen Birx, which stated, “Healthcare providers are recommending meditation to clients for stress management, pain management, depression, anxiety, insomnia, and promotion of wellness.”

In an article for the Social and Personality Psychology Compass, Bethany E. Kok attempts to explain why meditation works, stating, “meditation works by inducing changes in psychological capacities such as emotion regulation and self-regulation or through repeated induction of specific mental states such as love or meta-cognitive awareness.”

Kok’s article later explained, “there is promising evidence that various meditation practices influence immune functioning, cardiovascular functioning, and pain perception, all markers of physical health and predictors of longevity.”

Of course, it is important to remember meditation is not considered a reliable alternative to modern medicine.

One should not desist visiting their physicians for physical ailments. However, it may be beneficial to pair meditation and calming practices with doctor’s advice. Relaxing the body can be a pivotal step to regaining health and strengthening the immune system.