Pace Vaccination Policies Fulfill NY Health Law

Kaitlyn Szilagyi, Health & Beauty Editor

The debate on whether or not vaccination is a safe health practice is especially prevalent during cold and flu season. Regardless of any personal opinions, Pace does follow the New York State Health Departments vaccination requirements for all faculty and students.

According to Pace’s Health Care Center Staff, the university’s vaccination policy is New York State’s policy. New York State requires all students from kindergarten through higher education to have record of two measles, one mumps, and one rubella shot, and it has to have happened after your first birthday.

The New York State Health Department website further clarifies that this policy applies to students born on or after January 1, 1957.

“Students will not be allowed to register or attend classes unless they are in full compliance with the requirements of the New York State Department of Health Public Laws regarding Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Meningitis,” according to the Pace website.

The meningitis vaccine is not required. However, the Health Care Center must provide information regarding meningitis to the Pace community, and all students and faculty must be aware of meningitis and the fact that there is a vaccination available.

The debate over whether or not vaccines are safe and whether or not they should be mandatory is longstanding, and both sides are concerned for the health and wellbeing of individuals.

Online sources such as vaccinesprocon.org, which actively research and provide perspectives on various issues, have listed several arguments in support of and cautious of vaccination.

Often, those in favor of vaccination policies are of the mindset that vaccinations save lives. Furthermore, the ingredients contained in vaccines, while unsafe in large amounts, are regulated and provided in safe amounts. Medical organizations such as the Federal Drug Administration, Center for Disease Control, and American Medical Association have deemed vaccinations safe.

Adverse effects to vaccines are rare, and vaccines can protect a community from contagious viruses and, or, diseases. Vaccines can also protect future generations—for example, small pox has been eradicated due to vaccination—, and due to the fact that not all vaccine-treatable diseases have yet disappeared, vaccines are still necessary.

Those concerned and cautious of vaccines have their own reasons for why as well. Some are wary of the potential for fatal side effects, such as extreme allergic reactions. Others claim the ingredients are harmful.

Vaccineprocon.org explains, “Some physicians believe thimerosal, an organic mercury compound found in trace amounts in one flu vaccine for children and other vaccines for adults, is linked to autism.” It may be important to note, however, that this is a belief and not a proven theory.

Other individuals are simply against mandatory vaccinations, being of the mindset that the government should not intervene in medical decisions, or that some of the ingredients used are objectionable. Some would argue that vaccines are unnatural and developing natural immunity is more effective than vaccinations. Of course, not all individuals have natural immunity nor will they rapidly develop natural immunity. Additional arguments include that diseases targeted by vaccines have virtually disappeared, or that most vaccine-targeted diseases are relatively harmless.

Some arguments garner much more academic, medical, and logical support than others. Individuals are recommended to do research and consult a physician regarding their views on vaccinations. Regardless of one’s personal perspective, here at Pace University New York State Health Department requirements must be met in order to enroll and remain enrolled at Pace.