Dyson Professor Named New Manager

Dyson has appointed Michael DeRario as the new Manager of the Media and Communications Center in Wilcox Hall. The position was newly created this year in order to ensure that the communication’s department film equipment remain safe, undamaged, and well organized for student use.

“It is wonderful to be working for such an incredible department,” said DeRario.

DeRario is a Pace alumni and a working professional in the entertainment industry. He graduated with his BBA in Marketing, Advertising and Promotions, and Media and Communications in 2009 and received his MA in Media & Communication Arts in 2011.

“He was in our first master’s classes,” said Department Chair Robert Klaeger in his announcement. “Michael specializes as a Steadicam Owner/Operator having trained under the legendary Garrett Brown, inventor of the Steadicam, as well as Jerry Holway.”

The trend of Pace alumni continuing their careers at the University after graduation is nothing new. In the department of media communication, and visual arts especially, many of the industry professionals teaching classes today were once Pace undergraduates.

“It’s a great school,” said media and communications Prof. Maria T. Luskay, a Pace alumni who returned to teach at the University after studying under Prof. Klaeger. “Working at Pace is like being a part of a family.”

Since graduation, DeRario has also held a part-time professorship in the communications department. Student response to his promotion has been overwhelmingly positive.

“Michael DeRario is a great professor,” said junior media communications major Amanda Villavicencio. “Appointing him as the new lab manager was a smart choice because he is very knowledgeable about the equipment and wants to improve the program.”

DeRario also founded his own film/video production company, Michael DeRario Productions, in New York City. His company has produced media content for major companies, including Billabong USA, Heineken, and Pepsi.

“Mike DeRario has made great contributions to the media and communications arts at this school,” said senior communication major Harrison C. Davies. “He has really grown with the program, and I think he will bring a lot to this new position.”

In addition to his position as lab manager, DeRario is teaching  Media Production I and Lighting: The Craft of Cinema this fall.

“I think that the new position is a great thing for the future of the communications program, and it’s even better that DeRario is the head of it,” said senior communications major Alexandra Olender. “Having a lab manager will definitely help keep the equipment more organized than in the past and help students have more access to the different equipment we have. I’m excited to see the changes!”