Photo Courtesy of Pace Athletics.
Softball Sweeps Doubleheader vs Georgian Court
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 20, 2024

LAKEWOOD, N.J.- Pace picked up two road wins versus Georgian Court University yesterday afternoon. Game 1 went Pace's way with a final score...

Front of Miller Hall. Photo Courtesy of webpage.pace.edu
President Krislov on Campus Involvement and School-Town Relations
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 18, 2024

This article is on the topic of on-campus involvement and school/town relations. For the article about academics, the article about student life,...

Outside of the Office of SGA
Diaz And Tracey Wins 2024 SGA Election
Pace Chronicle StaffMarch 15, 2024

Incumbent President Nick Diaz and Vice President Paris Tracey have won reelection to their respective offices in the Student Government Association....

Pace Reacts to the First Presidential Debates

“I followed up with the fact checking reports making sure that everything was correct,” says Melanie Londono

President Obama and Governor Romney faced off in the first of three presidential debates last Wed. in Denver.

The national discourse focused on domestic issues concerning the economy, healthcare, education, and the role of government. While the candidates conducted themselves with gentlemanlike candor at the opening and conclusion of the proceedings, the debate became vicious at times.

The president continually attacked Romney for not making the details of his economic reform plan public.

“At some point, I think the American people have to ask themselves, is the reason that Governor Romney is keeping all these plans to replace secret because they’re too good? Is it—is it because that somehow middle-class families are going to benefit too much from them? No,” said Obama.

On the subject of the economy, the debate became very involved. Candidates argued over details of economic policy, especially on the subject of tax reform.

“My number-one principal is there will be no tax cut that adds to the deficit. I want to underline that: no tax cut that adds to the deficit,” said Romney.

However, Obama insisted that this would mean an increase in taxes on the middle class.

“If you believe that we can cut taxes by $5 trillion and add $2 trillion in additional spending that the military is not asking for, $7 trillion — just to give you a sense, over 10 years, that’s more than our entire defense budget — and you think that by closing loopholes and deductions for the well-to-do, somehow you will not end up picking up the tab, then Governor Romney’s plan may work for you,” said Obama.

“Being a political science major has really helped me understand [the debates]. Before I took on this major, I wouldn’t have known what was happening. Now I understand all the lingo, and I am just more well-versed in what the issues actually are. I read both platforms, so I know where I stand,” said senior political science major Melanie Londono-Payco. “Today, I followed up with the fact checking reports, making sure that everything was correct—because I know I have a bias and will always support one candidate no matter what they say…”

The media quickly dubbed the match up “the Executive versus the Professor” and the proceedings had a strong presence in social media. Viewers discussed, argued, and mocked during the debate in real time; Sesame Street memes went viral after Romney’s comments that he would cut funding from public radio and television. Over 58 million Americans tuned in to watch the debate—an approximate 10 percent increase from the first presidential debate in 2008 and even the most inconsequential details were examined by viewers.

“It was funny to see people’s reactions on social media,” said senior communications major Cara Thompson, “specifically people noticing the red and blue ties. That’s nothing new, but that’s what I saw in my Facebook feed.”

Ties aside, which candidate did Pace students think carried the debate?

“Honestly, I think Romney won this debate,” said senior English/publishing major Eric Weiman. “To me, it looked as if Obama was taken aback by some of Romney’s statements, which could have affected his performance.”

Weiman is not alone. Romney has largely been considered the winner of the debate, journalists and pundits citing Obama’s lackluster temperament and overconfidence as serious failings. However, other students at Pace maintain that there was no clear winner.

“I think it has to do with who you are supporting,” said Londono-Payco.

The question remains whether the results will influence how Americans will vote in November. For students at Pace, that does not seem to be the case.

“I’ll still be voting for Obama,” said Weiman. “I think Romney focused more on what he knows people want to hear instead of what people need to hear. I’m excited for the town hall-style debate coming up; I think it will be a more fair assessment than the debate tonight.”