Top Six Classes You Should Take at Pace

Image Courtesy of Pexels

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

I decided to double major during my spring semester of freshman year. That means I had to take a handful of extra classes, so I feel somewhat qualified to present this list. As I start my senior year, I can genuinely say that the classes I’ve taken over the past three years for both my majors and elective requirements have been great.

True, there are some that I would not recommend to another student, but that’s why they’re not on this list. With that being said, not every class that is not mentioned on this list was a bad experience. I just had a word count to satisfy.

These are the top 6 classes from my own personal experience based on my interests and majors: Communication Arts and Journalism and Political Science. If you’re a non-Dyson major, I’m sorry for the lack of diversity in my list. I promise to release different lists based off of different Pace schools.

1. Women Activists for Peace and Justice (Dr. Susan Maxam)

I took this class during my first semester of freshman year based off of a recommendation from my first-year advisor (Professor Halligan, we miss you!). It centered around highlighting female activists and their accomplishments throughout history and today. It also focused on global issues that affect women today, such as Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and sex trafficking (which FYI, also exists in America).

My favorite aspect of this class was that it didn’t just highlight the problems. It also presented a safe space to come up with solutions together. To top it off, Dr. Sue Maxam is one of those professors that truly cares about her students. (Don’t believe me? She baked for us during every class to ensure we had breakfast since it was an early course). Her teaching method is filled with passion and this class was truly one of the most eye-opening and inspirational courses I’ve taken at Pace.

1. Model United Nations (Professor Paul Londrigan)

Another classic. If you’re a political science student and you haven’t taken this class yet — hi, what are you doing with your life? But in all honesty, Poli Sci major or not, this class is a must because the teaching literally goes beyond the classroom (at conferences) and it teaches you major life skills. This includes, being globally aware, developing research skills, learning how to present your ideas and come up with impromptu speeches, debating techniques, how to work with people that don’t have the same perspective as you, diplomatic etiquette and teamwork.

Professor Londrigan is super passionate about the class and is truly invested in helping us go beyond our personal expectations. Bonus: he was a Model UN student at Pace many moons ago.

1. Intro to Psychology (Professor Kailey Horan)

Another eye-opening class. And that’s coming from someone that had zero interest or knowledge in psychology. It was so well-taught by Professor Horan that I contemplated minoring in Psychology. It’s a must for any student because the information is so relevant to your daily life. This specific intro class does a great job at breaking down such a complicated world.

1. Story Idea Development (Professor Melanie LaRosa)

This class is a MUST for any writer — whether it’s your major or just a hobby, you will not regret signing up for it. Story Idea Development is just that. It tackles 10 different writing methods you can use to approach a story, creatively. From picture storytelling, podcast writing, TV writing, scriptwriting, viral video skills, etc.

I highly recommend it because it’s very useful to expand your writing methods in this specific industry. Knowing how to present a story from 10 different angles and mediums will definitely make you a more marketable candidate. Professor LaRosa is brilliant and she gives awesome feedback.

1. Politics and Media (Professor George Picoulas)

This is a super interesting class considering our current political climate, the elections, and the media’s role in shaping and presenting these ideas. Professor Picoulas breaks down American media, it’s influences, how it affects the thoughts of Americans everywhere, and how to fact check news for yourself.

I’ve taken Professor Picoulas’s classes several times and they’re always fun to debate in. They’re a must if you want to be a more open-minded young professional and student.

1. Middle East Politics Through Film (Professor Joan Katen)

If you want to learn more about Middle Eastern history and the influences that got it to where it is today (aka colonization), then I highly suggest this class. Although the Middle East is an entire region — so there’s only so much a class can cover — don’t be intimidated by the material.

Professor Katen is very passionate about the topic and she uses film and documentaries to break down the information and make it more receptive to students. Whether you’re a newbie to the topic or advanced, this class will challenge your perspectives and make you a more knowledgeable student.
Happy learning!