Five Productive Activities To Do During Winter Break

Flickr

Flickr

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

Alright people, we made it (kind of). Winter break is officially right around the corner and we are in the home stretch of finals. I know we’re all day dreaming about what we’re going to do (or not do) during our month long hiatus from school – sleep in forever, binge watch all day, live in the same pair of sweatpants, etc. But I want you all to hold that thought for uno momento.

Instead of engaging in your own form of hibernation next month, have you ever thought about possibly trying to be productive during winter break? Before you all make me resign from my editorial position for encouraging such a thing, hear me out.

Productivity goes way beyond college and school work. It’s a lifestyle. And it’s triggered anytime you put in a conscious effort to complete something that will positively advance you – but this obviously also depends on context. Basically, you’re not only productive when you do homework. You’re being productive when you go to class, when you do your dishes, when you read this very article. All I’m asking is you make a conscious effort to be productive during winter break because it’s really not that difficult and it will make transitioning into the spring semester/real world that much easier.

1. Update Your Resume

This is something you should try to do every few months anyway – but since the semester is hectic enough, we tend to forget this important little detail. Even freshman and sophomores should get into the habit, because ultimately, continously editing your resume means it won’t take you long to update. However, if you leave it untouched for 6 months or more, then you’re going to find this a tedious task. Especially as college students since we experience so much in very short and concentrated time frames. Bottom line: update your resume. You’re welcome.

2. Apply For That Job You Didn’t Have Time For During the Semester 

On a level of 1-10 regarding productivity, I would say successfully applying for jobs and internships (cover letters and all) is a solid 9. It feels so good to hit that submit button. Unfortunately, a lot of opportunities fall through the cracks when you’re juggling 6 classes, a job, and extracurriculars. I get it. So take all this extra time you have now to apply for some really cool spring opportunities. Truly commit yourself to this task and you’ll be amazed at the results.

3. Schedule Workouts… For Real This Time 

I am pretty sure I mention something about exercising in at least 80% of my pieces, but I promise these tips are for myself first. Winter break is a great time to start something you didn’t have time for before and couldn’t fit in your schedule. Finding time to workout on a regular basis during break should be a walk in the park. Ultimately, the goal is to get so “in routine” that it will become a staple in your schedule next semester – not just something you do when you have the time for it every 10 years. Productivity points: a lot!

4. Volunteer 

Giving back to your community is an incredibly productive way to spend winter break. And not just because you can update your resume. It’s also not a full-time job – so please don’t complain. Just block out a few hours during your weekly schedule and go on your own time. Most people tend to be in giving back mode during the holidays, which is wonderful, but try to carry on with this habit post-holidays as well. Food banks, hospitals, animal shelters, creating care packages for the homeless in your city – the options are endless. You can even narrow it down to your own major or interests. For example, if you like to write, then partner with your local school and host writing workshops.

A great place to find opportunities that fit your skill sets is the Center for Community Action and Research (CCAR) right here on campus – especially if you live locally. Other resources include VolunteerMatch.org which pairs you up with related opportunities in any location. Usually, your city’s official website highlights needed-volunteers as well. Now go be the change you wish to see in the world.

5. Visit Friends in Your Hometown 

And finally, social circles can also be productive and essential for your overall well-being. You’ve been away for months, now catch up with your favorite homeboys and girls. Unless you’re a commuter like me – and nothing about your life has really changed that dramatically during break. Either way, make time for friends and loved ones, plan some catch-ups, and enjoy your break. You did it. You deserve it.