Why You Should Start Looking for Summer Internships Now

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

It’s winter, but we’re in the spring semester, which obviously means you’re looking for some summer internships now, right?

It might seem bizarre and confusing, but it’s the truth: College is like fashion; you always need to be one season ahead of everything and everyone.

Employers are looking for summer candidates right now, not last minute applications. The reason is because internship processes take time between the actual applications to the interviews and orientations.

If you play your cards right, however, by being timely, which also shows dedication, you’ll get a gold star in your potential employer’s book.

Keep in mind that certain industries that have more demand such as Corporate Finance, have earlier deadlines because some applications for upcoming summer internships were due during the fall semester. If that isn’t enough to motivate you, here are two more reasons for you to pull yourself together if you want a coveted internship for summer 2K17:

1. You Don’t Have to Do It Alone

That’s right, I’m talking about Pace’s Career Services Department. Did you ever wonder why Pace is rated as one of the top schools for connecting students with internships? You can thank our career counselors for that.

I like to call them the fairy godmothers and fathers of the internship world. But don’t think for a second that means they do the work for you because they don’t. They’ll help you craft a glowing resume, give you access to a database of opportunities, strengthen your interview skills, and help you sharpen up your LinkedIn presence, which are all invaluable resources.

All you have to do is make an appointment with their office. Counselors are just as important as academic advisors because while you stay on top of your classes, you also need to be working on post-grad goals as well.

1. Handshake

Remember that database of endless opportunities I was talking about earlier? Welcome to Pace University’s Handshake, your one stop for internship matchmaking, job opportunities, career fair information, and lots more.

Unlike other internship sites, employers and companies on Handshake have a direct relationship with Pace. From ESPN to MAKE UP FOREVER or finance to public relations, the postings are extensive and the industries are diverse.

You need to make an appointment with Career Services, however, and have them upload your approved resume, which only makes filling out applications that much easier. So, do yourself a favor and get to it!

Luckily for all of you, Career Services is partnering up with SDCA’s Commuter-Life to bring you an entire resume and Handshake workshop next week. Come down to Gottesman in Kessel on Mar. 8 during common hour (12:15-1:30pm) for some vital tips and an introduction to crafting a stellar application.