The Best Study Spots on Campus

Pace University. Photo by Joseph Tucci.

Nihal Al Qawasmi, Opinion Editor

The school year is ending and finals are around the corner. Everyone is heading towards their favorite corners on campus to hit the books and say sayonara to the spring semester. Do you know which spots on campus are the best for studying? If not, don’t sweat it; I’m going to share the top four below.

Miller Hall, Third Floor

Oh, Miller – you’re so conventional. Instead of rushing in and out of this building just for class (or a quick snack at the Kiosk) – have you ever taken the time to catch up on work in the third-floor booths?

The best part is each booth is semi-isolated from the one next to it because of dividers, giving you privacy and a quiet setting to work in. They also have large tables for group work.

During class time slots, Miller is usually not very busy and can sometimes be quieter than the library. Just watch out for common hour and the end of the 1:20- and 4:20-class times.

Alumni Hall, First Floor Lobby

This tip is mostly for commuters because studying in the lobby of a residence hall is probably the last place you would think of. However, the seating area in the front is open to all students and serves as a great study spot for two things: Starbucks is close by and large windows for optimal natural light when reading those tedious textbooks.

Willcox Hall, Computer Lab

It might be on the other side of campus, but it’s totally worth the trek because it harbors fewer students most of the time. Even if the classrooms are full, there’s a good chance the computer lab isn’t.

This is a great option when the computers at the library are all taken (and they usually always are during this time). My only tip is to bring your meals with you since Willcox is pretty far from Kessel.

With that being said, if you need a quick snack or coffee, you can just walk down the hill to Pace Mart in the library.

Mortola Library, Second Floor

Speaking of the library, because would this really be a piece about study spots on campus without some mention of the actual library? Mortola is fairly busy year-round, but during midterms/finals weeks, the building is sprawling with students that are half asleep and hungry because meal cards are running low.

If you want to get away from the smell of coffee and the meticulous typing, then I suggest you check out the second floor, which is the “quiet area.”

If you want to go the extra mile for more privacy and silence, then the desks between the bookshelves on the side of the bathrooms are your best bet. That area is so quiet it’s actually pretty eerie, but hey, whatever floats your boat and gets you those A’s.

Best of luck, Setters!