Photo Courtesy of Pace Athletics.
Softball Sweeps Doubleheader vs Georgian Court
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 20, 2024

LAKEWOOD, N.J.- Pace picked up two road wins versus Georgian Court University yesterday afternoon. Game 1 went Pace's way with a final score...

Front of Miller Hall. Photo Courtesy of webpage.pace.edu
President Krislov on Campus Involvement and School-Town Relations
Dylan Brown, Managing Editor • March 18, 2024

This article is on the topic of on-campus involvement and school/town relations. For the article about academics, the article about student life,...

Outside of the Office of SGA
Diaz And Tracey Wins 2024 SGA Election
Pace Chronicle StaffMarch 15, 2024

Incumbent President Nick Diaz and Vice President Paris Tracey have won reelection to their respective offices in the Student Government Association....

Putting the Leading in Cheerleading

Putting the Leading in Cheerleading

She balances academia, becoming a leader, and cheering with the grace of a plate spinner and the concentration of a hawk.

Sophomore communications major Samantha Clarke leads two very different groups of people. As a member of the Setters Leadership Program she partakes in many workshops that teach her how to be a leader in the community. When she is a cheerleader on Saturdays, she leads the crowd of fans into a frenzied support of their team. Yet she loves being at the head of both groups.

“I’m a voice for the students,” Clarke said. “I have a personality that works well with students and I don’t do anything if I can’t give it my all.”

As a nursing student assistant, Clarke sees the incoming freshmen during their University 101 classes. In her most recent endeavor, she taught her students some of the keys to relaxation in college. Yet between cheering, being on the e-board for SICA, being in ASPIRE, and working at Pace Perk, relaxing is an ideal for Clarke rather than a reality.

“I take a nap every second I can,” Clarke joked.

Still, Clarke is ready to go when it comes to cheerleading. Clarke has been cheering since high school and she says it helps keep her sane during her crazy schedule.

“The reason I do cheerleading is because it lets out stress,” Clarke said. “I came to Pace because I made the cheerleading team.”

Although the Setters do not cheer competitively or in the NY State Cheer Championships, Clarke still finds comfort in three practices a week with her teammates. Her ultimate goal as a collegiate cheerleader is to become captain her senior year.

While in the Setters Leadership Program, the Chester native has acquired a particular set of skills that will make her a nightmare for people who don’t follow her example.

“I have to be a leader,” Clarke said. “With the Setters Leadership program, I learn about relating to people and other skills that I need to get people to follow me.”

Between cheerleading and guiding young students through their freshman year, Clarke has little time to venture up to the townhouses. However, Clarke does make sure to spend time with her friends.

“I still have a social life,” Clarke said. “I don’t work on Fridays, if I did not spend some time with my friends every week then that would wear me down.”

The cyclone of activity surrounding Clark swept her away shortly after the interview. A student came up to Clarke in the library and asked if she knew how to use photoshop. Clarke replied that she did, and the two vanished into the bowels of the Electronic Classroom.